USA Accountancy as a profession, 2013 and beyond

Reaction score
I need opinions concerning the outlook for accountants in the coming years. I want to finish my degree in accounting and find a job public/private that I can build a career around. I'm not entirely interested in killing myself for the job or working up the corporate ladder. I'm just looking for something stable (if that exists) that I can be proud of instead of this retail crap I'm stuck in. I'm good with numbers, but hate algebra/calculus type math. If you've received a BS in accounting, how difficult did you find the classes? What recommendations would you give for someone who is making a career change in his mid-thirties and about to have a baby girl with his wife? Is accounting a good place to be? I already have my gen. ed classes done, but for the core accounting classes.

Reaction score
I'm good with numbers, but hate algebra/calculus type math. If you've received a BS in accounting, how difficult did you find the classes? What recommendations would you give for someone who is making a career change in his mid-thirties and about to have a baby girl with his wife? Is accounting a good place to be? I already have my gen. ed classes done, but for the core accounting classes.
I found the second year courses really tough but it got easier in the later courses. It really depends on your university though. IMO, businesses will always need accountants and if you're good, you never have to fear for anything. It provides lots of stability, as a profession compared to others (e.g. lawyers, or sales guys)

That being said, being good at courses is just one thing. Make sure you get a part time job or summer job in accounting - make sure to get a good understanding of what the senior supervisors do, because that's what you'll be doing.

Reaction score
For Accounting, the entry courses financial and managerial (2021 & 2071) are much easier than the intermediate accounting courses. Some of the other courses depend on how much you like material easy-medium in my experience with the intermediate theory and advanced theory (sometimes part of grad school) being harder. I have BA in Accounting with 150. You do a lot of the same but more complex with depreciating and counting months in theory.

Overall GPA is important and trying to get a PT or internship if possible. Maybe small or medium size firm, large firms are the 60-80 hour busy season work weeks. CPA exam & getting license are also important.

Ask a Question