Accountants will be obsolete

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
Hello all!I have already asked this question before but I have not received a straightforward answer yet that would convince me if I have made the right decision.At the age of 28 I have decided to enroll in University and study Finance and Accounting.However, many people, including some lecturers have discouraged me saying that there is no future in this field and that I should not waste my money on this course.What are your thoughts?Will softwares really outsmart humans?Are accountants and financial experts likely to be replaced by robots and softwares in the not so distant-future?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Back when computers first came out the death of the accounting field was forecasted. Again when PC's came out, same thing. What happens is that with more and more computerization there is tons more data that needs analysis. So yes the pure bookkeeping jobs are affected but there is more need for the professional accountant level jobs. Forget listening to the lecturers (who are in their ivory tower) and do your own research on the internet on this topic.

K

Kkies

Hello all!I have already asked this question before but I have not received a straightforward answer yet that would convince me if I have made the right decision.At the age of 28 I have decided to enroll in University and study Finance and Accounting.However, many people, including some lecturers have discouraged me saying that there is no future in this field and that I should not waste my money on this course.What are your thoughts?Will softwares really outsmart humans?Are accountants and financial experts likely to be replaced by robots and softwares in the not so distant-future?
As a small business owner of a retail and service business, I am not an accountant, let alone a CPA. While we can handle our own bookkeeping (basically data entry) and run reports, the intricacies of interpretation with ever changing tax implications, etc. tells me that I better have access to a good accountant as long as I am in business..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
To my own understanding as far as computers and information Technology is concerned ,Human beings can never be eliminated from the Accounting Profession since there is no profession where computers can work totally alone without human interference, eg technical faults need service,Computers follow programmed instructions they do not think themselves,

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question