USA Accounting at 55 yrs of age

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I recently took a job at a local university that has consistently ranked very high in my region. The job isn't not glamorous, it doesn't pay well at all, and the hours are late night but, after one year of employment I'll be able to go for my degree in Accounting and Bus. Admin. for FREE! If I were younger, this would be a tremendous opportunity, but since I'm 49 now, I'll graduate at 54 or 55 yrs old. My dilemma is this- how eligible will a 55 year old be considered with little experience in the field upon graduation? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Ray

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Six years from now you'll be 55 anyway. But IF you take the courses you'll be 55 with a degree. Your eligibility for work will depend on what your local economy is like at that time, how well you did in your courses, and what your salary expectations will be. In my local area, unemployment is very low so when acctg help is needed no candidate is overlooked. At 55 you've got at least 10 working years left, which is a lot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you, Kirby. I would like to work until 70, if possible. I'm being told that a degree in Bus. Admin. is not worth going for on it's own, but I thought I may as well minor in it if possible. My thinking is that an Accounting degree would make me an attractive candidate to potential employers even if I didn't focus solely on Accounting. An additional consideration is this: because I currently I make a ridiculously low wage at the University (I believe they pay so low because they offer free tuition to employees), how feasible would it be to assume I'll recoup those years of lost earnings wages upon graduation to make it more attractive with staying the course? Does that make sense? I understand that this is something others cannot possibly answer, nevertheless, any input or thoughts are really appreciated. It might be that there's something I haven't considered. Thank you again!

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You have to compare the wages you are getting now at the Univ. vs. what you could earn at another job that has actually been offered to you to figure your "lost earnings." Otherwise you have no "lost earnings."

Ask a Question