Accounting for a small sports club - help please

Discussion in 'Accounting' started by Steve Flanagan, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. I have been asked to become treasurer of a small local sports and
    social club (less than 100 members).

    Our main income is obviously from yearly subscriptions and profits
    from our bar area. We also have a snooker table which members use via
    a light meter and a fruit machine which also provides some small

    There is a steward who receives a wage from the club and mainly deals
    with serving behind the bar, but also some other admin duties (paying
    cash into the bank, etc).

    The club owns the building it is based, and has a small loan from a

    My main questions are:

    In what format "should" (as far as I am aware there are not set
    standards here in the UK for social clubs) the yearly accounts and
    balance sheet be shown. I believe that the format used in the past
    may not provide the best information to the members.

    Also, we obviously pay the VAT element of the bar sales to the Inland
    Revenue whilst claiming VAT back from bar supplies purchased. Should
    I show the gross amounts in the "Bar Trading Account" and then show
    VAT paid to the Inland Revenue in the Expenditure section of the
    "Income and Expenditure Account" or should everything be shown
    irrespective of VAT? My feeling is that it doesn't make all that much
    difference - but I could be wrong on this.

    In respect of income from the snooker table and the fruit machine,
    should these be shown in the "Bar Trading Account"? If this is a
    matter of decision and we decide to do so, should the "Bar Trading
    Account" be re-named "Trading Account"?

    Whilst paying the steward, the cost of wages is included within the
    "Bar Trading Account" as an additional expense, however, should the NI
    contributions paid by the club be also included, or should these be
    shwon in the "Income and Expenditure Account" under a separate

    Finally, does anyone know of a website or such that provides a basic
    format of reporting such accounts?

    Many thanks in advance

    Steve Flanagan
    Steve Flanagan, Jan 29, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Steve Flanagan

    _ Guest

    It seems to me you would be foolish to take on this responsibility, with your current knowledge and experience, without first talking to the club's accountant.
    _, Jan 29, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. I am currently studying for CIMA, and have worked as a Management
    Accountant and Auditor for the past ten years - however, this is the
    first time I have been asked to become treasurer of a social club and,
    obviously, I want to make a good job of it, which includes providing
    the members with "informative" accounts which was the main reason for
    my post.

    The club itself does not have an accountant as the treausurer role has
    been filled by members who have a basic knowledge of book-keeping
    rather than year end accounts. The format in the past was to show how
    much money came in during the year and how much went out - and the
    balance was the "profit" (surplus of income over expenditure - in most
    cases). However, my feeling is that the accoutns do not present the
    members with enough information - which as I have said before is the
    reason for my post.

    Can anyone else help?


    Steve Flanagan
    Steve Flanagan, Jan 30, 2004
  4. Well, what additional information do you think the members want/need?
    Don't see that there's anything for it but to sit down and decide what
    it is you think is useful and present it. Of course, as soon as you do,
    you'll then have to create a bookkeeping set of accounts that will
    provide sufficient detail to generate the reports. Depending on the
    size of the club, simply knowing that they're covering costs with a
    little to spare may be all that anybody really cares about. If it's a
    really decent-sized organization (or there's any hint of either a
    problem or the income <doesn't> cover expenses) there may be reason to
    be more fussy.
    Duane Bozarth, Jan 30, 2004
  5. Steve Flanagan

    Alan Guest

    VAT is payble / recovereable form Customs & Excise not Inland Revenue
    and is a Balance Sheet item not P&L - what accounting package do you
    use to record income & expenditue?
    Alan, Jan 30, 2004
  6. Steve Flanagan


    Aug 7, 2013
    Likes Received:
    Try some simple treasury software

    Like MoneyMinder or Treasure Ease. Should take care of most of that for you, and you'll get the reports you need to the right person.

    Good luck
    e98fab, Aug 7, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.