Accounting Path Advice

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to post up a question for some advice/recommendation.

My main goal: Take the CPA exam and work at the Big 4 (or a mid-sized firm)

I have a long way to get there. I only had a 3.2 GPA and I still do not meet the credit requirement (I am at 132). I graduated in May 2011 B.S. in Business Management concentrating in Accounting (they did not have an actual accounting major). I know I should have transferred and I regret not doing it. Anyways, I current found a job through Accountemps and now I work at a company as a Credit Analyst. I’ve been working here since July 2011.

My main question is: where do I go from here?

I am thinking of leaving and find a job in a mid-sized firm (or maybe even small). I want gain public accounting experience. I’m getting paid salary at my current job so it’s hard for me to find an internship/entry level in public accounting that will pay similar. I have trouble figuring out what the best way is to apply for positions in an accounting firm. There are so many sites like indeed, monster, careerbuilder, that have positions posted by staffing agencies. I applied to Accountemps for an accounting position and they landed me a credit analyst job =\ I want to know the best way to apply for positions an accounting firm.

Credit analyst is my real work experience and I am wondering what you guys recommend me doing? I’m at dilemma whether I:

- Should just stick it out at this job and take classes to fulfill the CPA requirements

- Go to graduate school and obtain an M.S. in accounting. I will also be fulfilling the CPA requirements and potentially gain networking and job opportunities on campus

- Find a job more closely related to accounting (especially public accounting) and gain more work experience

Some choices may have to overlap, but I definitely do not want to stay as a credit analyst. I only have educational experience in accounting and definitely no work experience. I currently live and work in Long Island, NY but want to work in the NYC area.

Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
The first step in getting in the door at a big four firm is to get to the required credit hours to be eligible to sit for the CPA exam. The big four firms want their new hires to be at least eligible for the exam. If you can get those additional credit hour requirements under your belt then you should be able to get an interview your previous experience.

A good website with info on CPA salaries and opportunities is:
Accounting Salary - Your CPA and Accounting Salary Guide | CPA Insider

Good luck!

Ask a Question