Accounting Student

Reaction score
Hello, I apologize in advance if there is a thread out there already with the advice that I'm seeking, I searched for one but couldn't find one. I just began the path to accounting with my first financial accounting course. While I scored high in the course, I struggled the whole way and I don't feel like I learned or held onto everything that I should.Those anxiety ridden thoughts ultimately brought me here!

What's it like for an accountant with an associates degree in regard to what's expected of them? Are there any free resources out there that will help me brush up and retain what I've learned? I know that these are questions I should be asking the career services department of my college, but it's a private university and they really only seem to care about if my next aid check is on time or not.

Thank you in advance, and again I'm sorry if this turns out to be a duplicate thread. When I saw my accounting class on my course load, I admit I groaned. Turns out I love it! I just want to do my best to be good at it.

Reaction score
Hello, I apologize in advance if there is a thread out there already with the advice that I'm seeking, I searched for one but couldn't find one. I just began the path to accounting with my first financial accounting course. While I scored high in the course, I struggled the whole way and I don't feel like I learned or held onto everything that I should.Those anxiety ridden thoughts ultimately brought me here!

What's it like for an accountant with an associates degree in regard to what's expected of them? Are there any free resources out there that will help me brush up and retain what I've learned? I know that these are questions I should be asking the career services department of my college, but it's a private university and they really only seem to care about if my next aid check is on time or not.

Thank you in advance, and again I'm sorry if this turns out to be a duplicate thread. When I saw my accounting class on my course load, I admit I groaned. Turns out I love it! I just want to do my best to be good at it.

I am in the same situation as you. I am just now finishing up accounting 2 and feel as though I havent really retained much of anything from the my classes so far. I am hoping that once I finish my degree and start working in this feild it will come back to me and that they will also give me a learning period and not expect me to know it all since I have a degree. I have been in the military my whole life, so I am not sure how the regular job market works. Best of luck to you

Reaction score
I am in the same situation as you. I am just now finishing up accounting 2 and feel as though I havent really retained much of anything from the my classes so far. I am hoping that once I finish my degree and start working in this feild it will come back to me and that they will also give me a learning period and not expect me to know it all since I have a degree. I have been in the military my whole life, so I am not sure how the regular job market works. Best of luck to you
I'm kinda like you, I hope that they give me a grace period to get my brain in order. Oddly enough, what I'm equally as worried about is using MS Office tools such as Excel. In my last accounting class, I found that it was my best friend in the whole wide world. So I'm brushing up on that as well. Best of luck to you in your civilian life, thank you for serving and welcome to the rat race!

I find the area I most have trouble is deciding which account to debit in response to another account's credit, or vice versa.

Reaction score
Your first few classes may seem overwhelming or confusing, but hang in there, these fundamental topics will be solidified as you move through your program. Just do the best you can to identify topics that keep comming up and be sure to learn these.

Account classifications (balance sheet, income statment, etc.) are good areas to know as they come up frequently and students are expected to master these basic topics. Knowing which accounts are debit/credit normal is the best time you can spend studying accounting. If you can master these two areas, you will have an easy time learning new topics.

Ask a Question