UK Accounting theory question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you buy equipment for a business on a notes payable, should the notes payable amount be added onto the Net Income in the cashflow statement?

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Income is money generated by means of your job or a business operation... a payable note is basically a loan... and is therefore not income.

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes and no.

When preparing cash flow from operations using the indirect method any short term part of the note affects working capital; thus it impacts the cash flows from operations.

The long term aspect of the note goes in the financing section of the statement of cash flows.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is that a U.S GAAP thing? I wouldn't count a loan - in any shape or form, as "income".

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Statement of Cash Flows has a section called Cash from/for Operations. There are two ways to calculate this section.

The indirect method starts with net income from the income statement and adjusts for non-cash transactions. Changes in working capital are part of those adjustments.

I never referred to a loan as income. Not sure where you are getting that out of what I wrote.

Ask a Question