Accounting treatment of interest for loan with grace period

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate your opinion regarding the accounting treatment of interest for a loan with following characteristics:
1. grace period for 18 months;
2. zero payments during the grace period - no interest or principal is paid;

Proposed accounting treatment:
During the grace period interest is calculated and posted in G/L as interest receivable and interest income.
The interest calculated during the grace period is due and payable in total after the end of the grace period.

Thank you all for cooperation.

Reaction score
I'm assuming from reading your post that you are accounting for the entity that made the loan.

I am not sure that the interest income can be recognized yet because it I am not sure that it is "earned" given that their is a stipulated grace period where no interest must be paid for 18 months. I'd probably debit a long term interest receivable and credit deferred interest income. Once the 18 month's is expired, I'd take the deferral to interest income.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, though. I'm not that great of an accountant.

Ask a Question