USA Accounting Treatment of Settlement (No Filing in Court Ever)

Reaction score
Country
United States
My (small) corporation's tree roots caused damage to several people's homes. The two sides' attorneys went back and forth on this for over a year. Threats of going to court were made by the homeowners. The corporation acquired a new attorney. The new attorney firmly advised the corporation to settle and to pay for the repairs to the homes. The corporation did so. No filings in court were ever done.

At present, the corporation's Profit and Loss statements show the cost of the settlements under an infrastructure repair line item. Some shareholders think this is deceptive. They say there should be a line item for "legal settlement" or similar. Are they correct?

My corporation uses Quickbooks.

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I do not think it matters much except that it should be listed in the other expense account category to separate it from standard and recurring operational expenses.

I personally would not allude to a legal settlement on the face of the financial statement. Such descriptions and details are often better left for footnotes.

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Internally, record in an account for legal settlements. But on face of financials, just roll up under operating expenses and if material disclose in notes.

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
They are not operating expenses. Extraordinary and unusual.

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I understand the concept of extraordinary items was no longer required under ASU 2015-1?

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
They are not operational expenses by any definition. They should not be recurring.

Ask a Question