USA Active Trader Status

Feb 15, 2021
Reaction score
United States
I have a 1040 client who wants to become a professional (active) trader in the eyes of the IRS. Based on his situation he should qualify for this status. Do you have any advice on how to go about this? I need to know how to set it up on their tax return? I don't know if the change in status has to be reported the year before in order for them to be allowed to elect the status? I use UltraTax for my tax program.

Please respond if you have any knowledge of this.


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads