USA ADP vs Paychex

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have been looking at several PEO platforms for Payroll & HR services, and slowly whittled the group down to ADP or Paychex. We have been using ADP Workforce for payroll as we do a lot of Time and Material billing. I find ADP while thorough, does not have that intuitive screens. Is anyone out there using the Paychex PEO? What's the good/bad/ugly?

It looks more intuitive screens both for the employee portal and the admin portal.

We have 48 people now but will double in size next year and I just want to be ready with a minimum of HR assistance needed.

Can anyone give me a few references or pitfalls?

Thanx

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I haven't seen Paychex's PEO system, but find that most of these systems will not have intuitive user interfaces.

I also found mistakes made by both Paychex and ADP when we used them. After my experiences, I would rather work with a trusted local accountant than either of these companies that can cause problems and then leave you to sort out the mess. (Generally, we've had messes when we've terminated services and they just 'drop' things without letting us know.)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just transitioned from ADP to Paychex. It was a nightmare, very little if any training. They scheduled a mock payroll webex the day before we were to go live and our system was unavailable. Sales personnel took my information and passed it along, nothing in the job costing tracking came out right because it was handed off to three different people. We are still trying to get a simple job/subjob/service fields into the time recording, first payroll was a disaster, we had problems with mobile reimbursement, out of state pay upgrades etc. On the health insurance side the actual insurance came in about 30% higher than their quote, and yes they had our census. Pay the extra money and go with ADP.

My impression is that they have silos, Job costing separate from Payroll separate from Health Ins separate from Job Hiring resources.

I am not impressed at all. Compared to ADP they are like off the shelf software. I wish I was back on ADP.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, sounds like Paychex is even worse than when I last used them.

ADP is going the same path as Paychex as the sales, retention, and support teams were starting to get silo'd around the time we dropped them.

We no longer need either service because we got rid of the source problem--having employees! :eek:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just an update, 3 months later and I am still trying to an automated GL entry for payroll, they just fixed so the second rate for hourly employees is factored into overtime. I still would recommend ADP over Paychex. Adding jobs is still a nightmare.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Terrible to hear you're still having issues. And this is why I recommend working with a local firm. You can just go into their office and make them fix problems.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Final statement on the issue. Go to Consumeraffairs.com and compare Paychex - One Star to ADP Four Stars and read the comments. Nothing more to say.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't bank on ADP either. As we were transitioning away from employees, their systems and service were getting worse and worse. Those 4 star ratings should come down quite a bit if you look at only the last few years--if they're real ratings in the first place.

Ask a Question