USA Advice for a 2nd Semester Freshmen

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum.

I am in my 2nd semester of my freshmen year, currently have a 4.0 and want to go into the accounting field and get my CPA cert.

Im at a community college right now getting my basics done cheaply, and plan to transfer to a state university, preferable Texas A&M or UT.

UT is the "#1 accounting program" in the US according to some reports however my dilemma is that just to apply, they want me to have taken trig, cal 1 and cal 2, and no other school im considering gives a hoot about those 3 classes, so they are basically UT committed classes only.

Should I put the extra effort to squeeze those 3 classes into my already full schedule, or should I focus on just applying to other schools?

Also I was wondering as former students that have achieved their goals of becoming accountants, can you offer me advice on what I should be doing? Internship advice, transferring, any advice really would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Codes

Reaction score
From my experience talking to recent graduates and CPAs, paid internships and working part-time through college looks amazing on your resume. Plus, extra spending cash will be good for your personal life. I would recommend working in the accounting world through college wherever you go, and treat that as a beneficial e.c. activity.

One of the reasons to go to a top accounting school is to make valuable connections to be used in attempting to move fast up a particular company or to attend a PHd program. However, I would recommend looking at "The #2 accounting school" and check if those requirements are already met. Even though Texas is an incredible school, it is not the only school that opens doors to prestigious venues.

Ask a Question