UK Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I'm currently 27 yo and been in the British army for 12 years I'm looking to leave in the next 3ish years and would like to become a chartered accountant thought doing the ACCA qualification I have started studying and intend to hAve all my theory exams done before I leave the army in 3ish years this only leaves my 36months of practical experience to do once I leave the army what I would like to know is just how employable am I to a practice bearing in mind I have no formal qualifications and have to do the FIA route F1,2&3 first and no practice experience if I have passed all acca exams and only need my 36 month practical experience to get fully qualified and what positions should be be going for would it still be trainee accountant or part qualified accountant

Any help would be much appreciated
Many thanks

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)

Going into accountancy is a good choice, I have a friend of a friend who is making this exact move (albeit from the RAF).

Please don't take this the wrong way, but one thing that will help you in any job applications is to work on your writing style. Obviously we're just having a chat on a forum so your post may not be reflective of how you normally write, but it's very light on punctuation which makes it hard to read. I think it surprises people to know that a lot of what accountants do is writing - eg writing letters to clients, writing reports, drafting proposals, etc. If your written English isn't up to scratch you may find your applications aren't successful.

When it comes to which jobs to apply for, don't forget that you are an asset to an employer - they don't need to pay for your studies, they just need to give you experience. Even if you apply for graduate positions you may find that the employer starts you higher up the ladder given your qualifications. However it will probably differ from company to company, it depends what they are looking for. Don't be afraid of getting in touch and speaking to them, ask what they are looking for. Employers like people who show initiative.

I hope it goes well for you!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you very much Becky for your observation I will work on that in future.it's something I have noticed and I an currently trying to rectify.
Your anewer has been very helpful in settling some of the area I was worried about

Thank you very much hope you have a good day

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
All the best with you applications! I hope it goes well for you. If you have any more queries don't hesitate to ask :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Becky,
Just out of curiosity,which would be the best route to go to increase experience,salaryand be able to progress up rank's.

Hope you are well.

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
A bigger company would be your best bet for career progression and experience. The 'big 4' in the UK are PwC, Deloitte, EY, and KPMG. Grant Thornton is pretty big too. A lot of people start off with a big firm them move to smaller firms or into industry as their focus changes, but big firms are great for the opportunities there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I was thinking one of the 'big 4' however all I can see from them is trainee jobs for graduates. As I am not a graduate would I still have a chance with them if I have passed my ACCA exams and only need experience.I will he living in Kent right in the door step of London so easy to get to a London firm or a bigger Kent based firm.

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Your situation is a little different to the norm, so you probably won't see a position advertised for someone who has passed the exams but has no experience. Your best bet would be to phone up and ask, that way they can advise you which position to apply for :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Becky,
Would you happen to know of anybody that has tried,to go about becoming a "Chartered Accountant" the same way I have. Or has done it in a similar way to me, ie passed all there Acca exam's but has no experience.Would be helpful if I had someone to chat to who has done what I am trying to do.

Hope you are well

Many thanks

Robert

Ask a Question