Advice on Masters in Accounting

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could please offer me some advice on the best path for me to become an accountant.

I recently graduated and received a BA in history, but I would like to become an accountant. I am considering a Masters in Accounting program offered by some universities. Is that the best route for me to take? I want to be able to work as an accountant as quickly and less expensively as possible. The Masters in Accounting programs will cost me over $40K after the two year completion. Some people told me to find colleges that help people without an accounting background become accountants without the MSA but I never found any schools that do that.

I was also wondering if finding paid accounting internships is easy because I would like to be working if I decide to go to graduate school. I live in Chicago, IL and would appreciate some advice.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
For four years or so you were convinced that a BA in history was the goal. Now it's not and we are off in a different direction for a different goal. Can you not utilize what you have (say get a teaching job) earn some dough and pursue the new goal after hours? Additionally, how are we sure now that accounting is the correct goal? Just asking you for a moment of self discovery.

Reaction score
When a person is 18 years old, he does not consider the reality of the job market and picks any major. If you were set on accounting at age 18 then you must be a prodigy. Getting a teaching job is easier said than done. If I could simply "get" a teaching job then I wouldn't be asking this question. It would also be pretty ridiculous of me dropping out three years into a teaching program when I would be so close to getting the degree.

I am not willing to waste years hoping that a school calls me while I collect tax payer money on unemployment. I would rather be doing something to make me more marketable and unfortunately the teaching field does not offer that.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
1. Can't buy your "what did I know at 18" argument. Neither does the rest of the US as 18 is the age where you assumed to be "grown up" enough to decide to be married, join armed forces, vote, etc. Take responsibility for your actions.
2. Do not be concerned about "collecting taxpayer money on unemployment" because you can only collect if you had held a job, which you do not now.
3. US News and World Report cites the top job prospects for 2012. Accounting is not one of those. That's why I hope to have you really do research on your next move before acting on it.
Not trying to argue with you. Goal is to have you fulfilled and not stuck in an " well i guess I'll settle for this" job. If history is your passion then accounting will not fulfill you. Concern is you may not like accounting and so may not do well in it. I've fired - over the years - two CPA's who stunk at their work - they had no real interest in it and it showed in their performance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Although this is old, one should really check their facts before stating something. U.S News cites Accounting in the top job prospects for 2012.

money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/accountant

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was thinking the exact same thing. Accounting job prospects are pretty good and I would not have enrolled in a masters program if job prospects were poor.

I have already completed a semester in financial, managerial, and cost accounting. I am doing well academically and now it's all about gaining the job experience.

Reaction score
i am in the same position. i have a B.A. and can't get a job, and recently discovered a love for accounting, so i'm going for it. i did a lot of research and, in most cases, it's faster and cheaper to get a master's. if you do a google search for "master's accounting no background" and such, you'll find programs. you can also google "cheap graduate programs in accounting" but my issue with those is that i don't want the name of some random 100% online school on my resume that no one recognizes. i don't know if you would consider doing your master's online at a reputable place, but i recommend looking into SNHU and new england college. they are both very affordable and well respected universities.

Ask a Question