UK Advice regarding incompetent accountant

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Any advice you can offer on this subject would be much appreciated, since I feel like I'm in a bit of a hopeless situation.

My previous accountant failed to file my 2011/12 partnership accounts on time, despite me sending them to him well before the deadline date.

His excuse was that the HMRC website would not allow him to submit them. I subsequently received a fine for not getting my figures I on time.

My accountant then advised me not to pay the fine, because HMRC are at fault, and that he would appeal the fine on my behalf. He assured me this was not an uncommon situation, and that HMRC would see the error and scratch the fine.

To cut a long story short, over the course of the next year I received ever increasing penalty letters whilst my accountant continued to advise me not to pay any of it, and that he was appealing the case, and that it would all be worked out in the end.

It is now come to the point where I have £1,600 in fines against me for late submittal of my 11/12 figures. I have paid a large amount of this fine, as has my partner, but there is still more to pay.

My appeal has been thrown out and I have been left with a huge fine.

The way I see it, I paid my accountant over £600 to do my partnership and personal tax return, which he failed to do. I have now been left financially crippled, and I would like to know if anyone has any advice on my next move since I'm not planning on letting the guy get away with it.

He is a member of the ICAEW, so I intend to report his conduct to them, and I'm considering asking him to pay the fines I've incurred which have resulted from his actions.

Reaction score
Hi Jim Morrison

Hi Jim
I hope you are out of the soup and if not do share your contact number with me, as I have witnessed the same thing before.I might be of some help

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Jim
In the US we would sue the accountant for the amount of the tax penalty.
Hope you can do the same in your case.

Ask a Question