*Almost* duplicate W2s

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am filing single in NYC. I have 11 W2's. Of these, two of them are ALMOST exactly the same. In fact, the ONLY things that are different are:

-the descriptions in the "earnings summary" section.
-box 12 (one has a D and L classification, the other just the L, but of the same amount).
-the state is different (box 15) along with a different state employer ID number, and values in boxes 16 (state wages) and 17 (state tax).

Please note that I did do some work in Maryland (hence the different state in box 15).

My question:
Do I have to submit/enter in BOTH of these W2's? Or just one of them? Entering them both (federal wages from box 1/3/5) makes my gross income considerably higher.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If those similar w2s are from ONE employer for the SAME work you only need to enter one. See if one says "corrected w2" - if so use that one.
But before you do that CALL the employer's payroll folks and ask them to resolve this.

Ask a Question