USA am I eligible for Legal Residence for tax purpose

Reaction score
I am a H1B worker. Having been working in South Carolina of US since 2012. I bought a house in 2013. My property tax rate was 6% for 2014 because my application of Legal residence was denied. The denial reason was I am not a permanent residence nor American citizen so I am not eligible to apply the Legal Residence.

According to SC Proper Tax Regulations 117-1800, “2. Definition of Legal Residence. For property tax purposes the term Legal Residence shall mean the permanent home or dwelling place owned by a person and occupied by the owner thereof and where he or she is domiciled.”

I think I am qualified for the legal residence application and I know some colleagues and friends in SC who have the same status as me and they applied for Legal residence for tax purpose.

I am in the process of appealing the assessor. Is the code above good enough to claim my status as legal residence and claim my overpaid property tax back?

thanks,

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like it would be. But I would find out if there's any regulation that could be cited for denial as well. Conflicting code will need case law to support one or the other. Good luck.

Ask a Question