Am I too old for accounting?

Reaction score
If everything goes as planned, I will receive my associates degree in accounting when I'm 32-33 yrs old. Then I'll look for an accounting or bookkeeping entry-level position where I will work for a year or two before I apply for graduate school to get my MSA (I already have a Bachelor's degree.) I have no plans interning for Big4. I would like to work in industry or a local firm. Maybe, if I can, someday be a self-employed accountant that can earn a decent living when I'm in my late 30's or early 40's after I pass the CPA exam. Will my age give me any problems in finding accounting jobs in the future according to my career plan?

Reaction score
If you don't have demanding household (kids, etc.) and can take a pay cut (likely to happen at the junior level in accounting firm), your success is only a matter of your effort. I would consider Big4 though, they will work you hard for a couple of years, but when you emerge with their endorsement, many doors will open.

Good luck!

Ask a Question