USA Am I too old/late to follow my dreams

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi
I just started college for accounting and I'm 37yrs old. It seemed like life got in the way and my dreams were put on hold for a while. I was busy raising my kids and helping them achieve their dreams. So my question is: am I too late in the game? Will someone hire even hire me at 40something? I hate I waited so long.... is there still hope for me?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sent a message to your account - use "Conversations"

J

John Baker

At your age you have a lot going for you. Maturity, dependability, understanding how the world works, and
a ton of intangibles that are in your favor.
Now for the down side. You're going to be working with people a lot younger than you and in positions that
their not ready to give up, and in some cases, guard ways of doing things. Another reality check is money.
Some interview may view you as cheap, pencil pushing labor - no more. In the business world, many people
are thought of as "door stops", nothing more. Women especially are at the blunt end of this kind of mindset.
So, go for your objectives. Just be mindful that all of those that you're about to meet, without exception, have
their own agendas. Agendas that have nothing to do with your agendas.
On the other hand, I've had an open door to hiring and progressing individuals like yourself. The benefits
were well beyond the bottom line in every way.
Best wishes in your career.

Ask a Question