Amending a previous years return when obtaining TIN?

Discussion in 'Tax' started by robert, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. robert

    robert Guest

    The IRS has told me that I can file my 2004 tax return
    requesting a TIN and therefore benefit from my spouses
    deduction and I can amend my previous years tax return when
    I receive the TIN in order to reduce my previous years tax
    paid. Note: I was married 2001. Does this tally with other
    peoples understanding?
    robert, Feb 3, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. First a question. ARE you already a US citizen? Born in
    the US of A? If so, you've had a TIN all the time, it's
    called a social security number.

    But maybe you're an emigrant?

    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA
    Harlan Lunsford, Feb 4, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. robert

    robert Guest

    I am a US citizen thru naturalization. I have a SSN #, it's
    my wife who is not elligble for one.

    My wife is from Asia. The idea is that I can benefit from a
    higher deduction thru filing jointly since she has no income
    to report.

    So when I file my taxes this year I'll apply for a ITIN for
    my wife thru a W7 and when I receive it I can use that to
    amend my previous years tax return to reduce my taxable
    income for that year.
    robert, Feb 7, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.