UK How to get in to the accounting industry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I was hoping someone from the industry would be able to give me some advice please.
I am keen to pursue a career in accounting but unsure where to start or the best way for me to get into the industry.
I have been looking at the AAT course and am wondering if that is the best place to start? Any advice would be much appreciated thank you.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my own opinion, if you want to be fully qualified, then get straight onto a professional qualification course. Your options are likely CIMA or ACCA, so have a look at their websites to get an idea of which of them grabs you the most. There's plenty of options for studying for them ranging from self-study to full tuition. There's a minimum entry level of qualifications required but it's only a couple of A levels and some GCSE's, unless it's changed recently.

AAT is a qualification in its own right, but it doesn't get you qualified accountant status. There's a lot of exams to get through to get AAT, but they will get you hardly any exemptions from professional qualification exams if you then go on to those, so I personally wouldn't advocate doing it unless you don't plan on becoming a qualified accountant.

Ask a Question