USA Asking your advice : what is tax deductible

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all
I have 2 jobs: as employee part time (no benefits ) and as a sole proprietor. In my second job I drive to clients home and give services.
Question 1:
Which of the following drive is tax deductible?
Drive A: from home to client a
Drive B: from client a to client b
Drive C: from client b to home
Drive E: from home /client to my work as an employee

Question 2:
I was told that even as employee I can deduct expenses that are related. For my job as an employee I still pay for continue education, license, registration, liability insurance, different tools, books and similar things.
this question is important for me because I am considering to leave my job as a sole proprietor that I make around 1000$ a month and to have more of the job as an employee, but I will still have those expenses that eats a lot from the money I make.
Thank you!!

Werner Reisacher

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Question 1:
Assuming that your Home is the Place of Business of your Sole Proprietorship, all trips from your place of business (your home) and back are tax deductible. Trips from your home to your place of business as an employee are not deductable. Make sure that you keep a mileage log, listing each trip, in case of an audit.
Question 2:
Most of those items are deductible if you are able to claim itemized expenses. Unless the total of tax deductible expenses add up to more than the Standard Deductions ($12,200 for single/$18,350 married) you are better off choosing the Standard Deductions.

Ask a Question