Associate or Bachelor?

Reaction score
I start college on Wednesday. I am working on an Associate of Applied Science in Accounting Technology. Would it be better for me to be working on a Bachelor's of Business Administration with a major in Accounting? I don't know what to do. I don't really have anyone I can talk about this with. I feel like I'm receiving biased advice from my academic advisor at my college. Most of the credits in the Associate do not count toward the bachelor's degree. I'm not even certain I want to go to college here locally. What are some good schools for accounting? I'd eventually even like to get a Masters if everything works out.

Reaction score
If you want to work in accounting get the bachelors in accounting and make sure that you major in accounting and get experience with all levels of tax, information systems within auditing and auditing itself. Those are integral parts to your education!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I start college on Wednesday. I am working on an Associate of Applied Science in Accounting Technology. Would it be better for me to be working on a Bachelor's of Business Administration with a major in Accounting? I don't know what to do. I don't really have anyone I can talk about this with. I feel like I'm receiving biased advice from my academic advisor at my college. Most of the credits in the Associate do not count toward the bachelor's degree. I'm not even certain I want to go to college here locally.
Let's say you want to be an RN (Registered Nurse). An Associate of Science in Nursing will get you that job. A Bachelor of Science in Biology will not. Similarly every degree has its own objectives and opportunities, find which is best for you.

What are some good schools for accounting? I'd eventually even like to get a Masters if everything works out.
Where are you from & where do you want to study!?

US, check this link:
Top Accounting Graduate School Rankings in 2011 | U.S. College Rankings

UK, this : Ranking of Top Accounting & Finance Programs of Universities in UK 2011 (The Independent)

Hope this will help you...all the best! :)

Reaction score
With an Associate of Applied Science degree, the credits don’t count towards a Bachelor’s. The purpose of the degree is to lead you to a specific vocation without needing further academic credentials.

If I were you, I would seriously consider getting a Bachelor degree in Accounting reason being that you need to graduate from a baccalaureate program to qualify for the CPA exam. Now depending on your career path, you may or may not need the CPA certification, but it’s a good credential to have if you want to enhance your employability and earning potential. Besides, you will need a Bachelor’s degree before you can enroll for a Master’s program.

If you want recommendations on good schools, I would suggest CollegeAmerica. At CollegeAmerica, you can complete the BS in Accounting degree in just 30 months on their flexible schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
With an Associate of Applied Science degree, the credits don’t count towards a Bachelor’s.
I don't know where you are from or why you are pushing a particular online course of study, but your statement about the credits is absolutely NOT TRUE in Illinois or, as far as I have seen, in any other state. There may be particular accounting classes that do not transfer to their counterparts in certain four year programs, but the credits by and large transfer.

A good counselor at a community college can match the curriculum offered by the community college to the 4 year college that you expect to transfer to so that most or all of the credits count toward your degree.

As I mentioned, however, the accounting classes you take at a community college may not be considered to be an adequate foundation for the upper level classes and may not be able to be used to meet the program requirements, so you may find yourself taking more accounting classes than you counted on.

Reaction score
I think a bachelor’s degree in a technical field (healthcare, business, accounting and finance, IT, etc) is likely to increase your employability so, depends on your interests, I’d advise you to consider a bachelor’s degree in either business administration with an accounting major or a bachelor’s in accounting. If you opt for a bachelor’s in accounting, I’d suggest taking the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam in order to get certified- greater job options, higher salary. You can follow it up with a master’s degree (online if you want to continue working) from an accredited college. I’m thinking about pursuing a degree in accounting myself and I’ve just gotten done reading a bunch or reviews and complaints about CollegeAmerica- it helps to be thorough with your research. I wish you the best. Good luck!

Reaction score
A bachelor's degree in accounting would land you a great job after college. You would be able to touch some subjects in associate degree so choose the latter.

Reaction score
eventually, getting BS in Accounting is going to be more useful, but considering the huge cost of 4year colleges, if i were you, i would find out if your credits at your comm. college will transfer to your 4year college of choice. if they will, or majority will, you cld stay at your comm college, graduate, and use the credits towards a BS. That wld save you a lot of money too.

Reaction score
If you want work as an accountant, get a bachelor's. The associate degree will only get you work as an accounting clerk or bookkeeper.

Ask a Question