Automatic Update Feature


M

Michael

Hi,

Been here and been in the knowledge base and in the quickbooks message
forum and STILL the only answer available to stopping the update
message is to install the updates! To do this would make our client's
files unreadable when we return the files to them. There MUST be a
way to stop the automtaic update feature to stop showing...other than
forcing us to get the update.

Thanks and looking forward to some suggestions.

Michael
 
Ad

Advertisements

A

Allan Martin

Maybe both you and your clients should have the latest patch installed. The
main reason patches are released is to correct problems with the software.
 
L

Lisa Chambers

(edited to remove top posting)
Allan Martin said:
Maybe both you and your clients should have the latest patch installed. The
main reason patches are released is to correct problems with the software.
LOL - then what would be the procedure to correct the problems created by
the update? Intuit has a lousy record for updates. To quote Intuit "An
update might be

a maintenance release {READ 'bug' fix},

a new feature {READ something the developers thought would look nice-
usually not something you would use and definitely something that will
change the way you do business (the infamous non-movable paid stamp comes to
mind)}

a new service {READ we decided we could charge you for something that used
to come with the software, and are disabling your current program
capabilities}

and/or timely information that is relevant to your business {READ ad}.

Experienced users know to TURN OFF automatic update... and to wait for word
on what problems were created by the 'patch' in order to evaluate whether
the new 'features' introduced were better/worse than the old problems.

Michael.... what version of QB are you using? And what messages are you
receiving?
I have auto update turned off, and I'm not showing any messages atm.
Did you perhaps download the updates, and not install? That would cause a
message, I believe.
 
M

Michael

Allen,
Thanks for the reply. The accountant has several clients (50 or more)
with QB in various stages of release. When a new client comes on
board they may have QBPro 2004 and we don't have that version. So we
would have to "upgrade" to that release?

Honestly, we have never experienced any problems with the software
except that newer versions won't read eariler versions unless the file
being looked at is updated to our version. And THEN the client can't
open the returned file since it is now in a NEWER version of QB. This
causes quite a problem. We do amke a backup of the client's file
before looking at it, but then our changes don't import. We use
handwritten information back to the client.

Other software like the Office suites and even AutoCad allow opening
the files in whatever format you select. No need to purchase and
upgrade to AutoCad2002 to read a file created in AutoCad 13.

Would it be worth while to send a letter to Intuit and address this
matter?

Anyhoo, you are the only one to reply and I appreciate that. I will
forward your information to the accountant.

Thanks for your valuable time.

Michael
 
G

Guest

Other software like the Office suites and even AutoCad allow opening
the files in whatever format you select. No need to purchase and
upgrade to AutoCad2002 to read a file created in AutoCad 13.

Would it be worth while to send a letter to Intuit and address this
matter?
What are you talking about? This is one of their most important market
manipulation schemes they employ so that the can sell more product to
the unsuspecting masses.

Also, just a matter of terminology, there are QB versions (like 2004,
2003, 2002, etc) and for each version Intuit offers "releases" that
may address some problem with the particular version. Releases can be
downloaded from the QB support pages and some of them also change the
data so that are not readable by an earlier release of the same
version.

Since you have several clients with various versions, a good idea is
for your to keep as many QB versions on your system as possible, by
installing them on different directories on your disk.

==
 
A

Allan Martin

Michael,

If the accountant has 50 or more clients on QB then they should know exactly
how to handle this situation.
 
Ad

Advertisements

M

Michael

Lisa,

The accountant has Pro Premier Edition 2002 and has never clicked for
a maintenance release or update or any such thing. He's turned off
that update feature until he's blue in the face. The annoying message
keeps coming up. He fears one day he'll accidently click that thing
and thereby change all his files making them unable to be viewed
unless they ALL get the update. Just the darnest thing!

Thanks for your comments and your valuable time.

Michael
 
M

Michael

Oh, I see. Intuit's gonna let us install all the versions possible in
different directories so we won't have to be concerned about what
version and what releases the average business owner's might have on
their systems? That sounds like a great deal for Intuit, but not such
a good idea for the accounting profession.

Michael
 
M

Michael

If we could figure out how to handle it effectively, there wouldn't be
a problem. Other software companies have helped. Can't figure out
why Intuit does it this way.

50 clients with many different versions and many different releases
within those many different versions. Nope. Intuit should address
this or maybe it's just another way to get more money from
businesses... to drive the economy. Point is, it would be easier,
more effective, less cost to clients if older files could be read by
newer versions.

Thank you for your time.

Michael
 
A

Allan Martin

Michael said:
If we could figure out how to handle it effectively, there wouldn't be
a problem. Other software companies have helped. Can't figure out
why Intuit does it this way.

50 clients with many different versions and many different releases
within those many different versions. Nope. Intuit should address
this or maybe it's just another way to get more money from
businesses... to drive the economy. Point is, it would be easier,
more effective, less cost to clients if older files could be read by
newer versions.

Thank you for your time.

There is no accounting suite on the market today that can do what you want.
To even hope this were possible is absurd. Time to do a reality check.

When you have a business that depends on your ability to read and write back
accounting files for your clients you down load the latest patches for each
version you support and get off your fat ass, drive to each of your clients
sites, and make sure their version is patched to the latest revision.

The alternative is to have 50 different combinations and of QB installed on
each accounting staff's workstation. This is an administrative nightmare and
is not going to happen.
 
G

Guest

Oh, I see. Intuit's gonna let us install all the versions possible in
different directories so we won't have to be concerned about what
version and what releases the average business owner's might have on
their systems? That sounds like a great deal for Intuit, but not such
a good idea for the accounting profession.
Actually, Intuit does not explicitly suggest that a user keeps various
versions on the same system. There may be conflicts of various sorts
especially if a user runs various versions concurrently, but up to now
I haven't heard of any serious ones. Or maybe with a future version
there may be a problem. Right now I'm running 2004, 2003 and 2001 on
a Win XP system with no problem (I'm trying to avoid running them all
the same time though).

One issue that may be a potential problem is the memory resident
programs that each version installs on the system that check for
updates and who knows what other kinds of data mining they may be
doing. I take the time to disable each and every one of them by
disabling them from the Windows startup area (accessible only through
the msconfig utility) and renaming the actual directories that hold
the update files so QB can't find them even if it wants to.

==
 
Ad

Advertisements

M

Michael

Allen,

Whoa! Take it easy one me. My ass ain't fat at all! doing the best
I can with this. The accountant mentioned the update feature and
we've had trouble reading client's files this year. I am only asking
a couple of questions regarding this issue. However, I am adamant
that the software companies could do more for our benefit.

I really do appreciate your input. Conversation should be llike
strong black coffee....stimulating and hard to sleep after. We would
be lost out here without folks like yourself offering a glimmer of
hope.

Michael
 
T

Tee

Allan Martin said:
There is no accounting suite on the market today that can do what you want.
To even hope this were possible is absurd. Time to do a reality check.

When you have a business that depends on your ability to read and write back
accounting files for your clients you down load the latest patches for each
version you support and get off your fat ass, drive to each of your clients
sites, and make sure their version is patched to the latest revision.
Having the patches is one thing but I'm one of those who believes that QB
files should be readable by *all* QB versions...maybe with the exception of
a version previous to 99 (and of course making the exception for Windows vs
Mac versions). This isn't an unheard of concept since many other programs
are able to do this. There will obviously be functionality issues but since
its only data being read & written, not functions like menus & reports, then
its not a tech-writer nightmare to do. I honestly believe its purposely
done to keep people upgrading to the newest versions. They shouldn't *have*
to upgrade if they don't want to and shouldn't be penalized for not doing
so.
 
A

Allan Martin

Tee said:
Having the patches is one thing but I'm one of those who believes that QB
files should be readable by *all* QB versions...maybe with the exception of
a version previous to 99 (and of course making the exception for Windows vs
Mac versions).
Old QB files can be read and used by the same or newer versions of the
program.

This isn't an unheard of concept since many other programs
are able to do this.

There will obviously be functionality issues but since
 
A

Allan Martin

Actually I was referring to the generic fat ass not yours in particular. The
software industry is probably the most competive industry ever known to man.
I can assure you that any software company that wants to stay in business
will constantly strive to add more value to their product.
 
T

Tee

Allan Martin said:
Old QB files can be read and used by the same or newer versions of the
program.
I know but what I meant by "all" is that a QBP 2001 user could read a QBP
2004 company file, or accountant's changes, etc. It should work in reverse,
not just same & forward IMO.
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

RJP

The point you are trying to make is a good one.

If an accountant has a newer version of QuickBooks, he/she cannot read a
client's file without converting it to the newer version. Then, when the
file goes back to the client, the client can't read the file. So, it's a
big game -- the accountant is forced to complete every different version of
QuickBooks on his/her system, or every client has to change to the version
that the accountant.

You could write to Intuit about this forever and it won't make a difference.
Intuit knows what it is doing, and it knows it has a monopoly on this type
of software. So, it has no plans to correct the problem.

Your idea makes sense, but it ain't gonna happen.
 
A

Allan Martin

Tee said:
I know but what I meant by "all" is that a QBP 2001 user could read a QBP
2004 company file, or accountant's changes, etc. It should work in reverse,
not just same & forward IMO.
Lets not be absurd. If you want to wish for something then imagine winning
the 150 million dollar lottery. At least that dream has a chance of actually
happening
 
A

Allan Martin

RJP said:
The point you are trying to make is a good one.

If an accountant has a newer version of QuickBooks, he/she cannot read a
client's file without converting it to the newer version. Then, when the
file goes back to the client, the client can't read the file. So, it's a
big game -- the accountant is forced to complete every different version of
QuickBooks on his/her system, or every client has to change to the version
that the accountant.

You could write to Intuit about this forever and it won't make a difference.
Intuit knows what it is doing, and it knows it has a monopoly on this type
of software. So, it has no plans to correct the problem.

Your idea makes sense, but it ain't gonna happen.

The only real problem is that the accountant isn't going to have every
version with every revision (patch) that changed the database structure on
their system. If a client can benefit from their accountant's ability to do
data transfers then it is no big deal for that client to have their version
of QB patched to the latest revision.

I make my living as a accounting software consultant. The first thing I do
when I walk into a client site is install the latest software patches that
were released. When I leave I usually tell the client, "by the way I
installed the latest patches on your system", they say "thanks Allan". I
leave, end of story. No big deal.

Why are we having this stupid conversation.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

RJP said:
You could write to Intuit about this forever and it won't make a difference.
Intuit knows what it is doing, and it knows it has a monopoly on this type
of software. So, it has no plans to correct the problem.
From a programming and software development standpoint, it is a
trivial issue to design a data structure for the company files that do
not depend on the current version of the QB program itself. There is
no extra development resources that are needed - everything in this
type of software has been already done to perfection on other software
in the past and it is ready to be implemented (as far as storing
relational databases is concerned).

Actually, all major popular database related software in the market
(and QB is a database after all) are creating files that can be both
read and written to by both old and new versions of the software that
creates it, and in some cases by other software too.

Intuit is basing their disgusting manipulative tactic of planned
incompatibility of data across versions on the fact that small
business owners are not literate on computer software (and they don't
have to be), and maybe most importantly, on the ignorance and utter
stupidity of drones that pass themselves as "software consultants"
(some may be floating around here in this group) and do not take a
minute to either educate their clients or put some pressure on Intuit
as much they can to provide a better quality product. Instead, they
cheer on the incompetence that comes out of the QB slave-farms in the
Far East (lately) hoping that they'll make another buck.

==
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top