USA Bank Reconciliation

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I am new to my employer (1 month) as their new controller, and I want to run something by other CPAs.

The company has been doing the bank reconciliation in a way that is very different from what I have been taught and done in the past. For context, I have worked in public accounting for 9 years and have had my CPA license over 7 years. They do something where all deposit details are imported to the GL as a lump sum, payroll as a lump sum, and generally most other activity as a lump sum. (AP checks are about the only exception) As these lump sums, they are compared to the lump sum of the related transactions that cleared the bank. The difference is written off to a temporary liability account and written off at year-end.

I do not like this method, and technically I did not have any training on how exactly this company likes to do the bank reconciliation (training has been very slow). As such, I used my professional experience to conduct the bank reconciliation as I saw fit (for example, using the deposit detail instead of the lump sum method, matching each transaction one-by-one). The only variance I have is about $1k and it relates to the difference between the lump-sum payroll distribution and the individual distribution amounts that cleared the bank. An additional context item is that $1k is considered immaterial because it's <1% of the total distribution for the month.

I requested reports to break down the lump-sum payroll distribution. Since this is for November, my boss is asking to have this bank reconciliation completed immediately. He does not want me to dig into it and figure out the $1k. He emphasized that since the auditors did not flag their bank reconciliation procedure, he wants things to be done the way it has always been done. Last year, the temporary liability account was written off at year-end for over $16k and was not an issue for the auditors.

My boss indicated that it was always understood that the variance represented timing differences (which it has to a certain extent) but it is never actually researched. This bothers me because I feel that this procedure is based on laziness. The bank reconciliation I am completing is perfectly capable of reconciling to a $0 variance. Is this really okay? Is this a common practice in companies with internal accounting to insufficiently reconcile accounts like this?

I would love some insight. Thank you! :)

BIG E

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ask your boss if he'd prefer paying you for the extra time to do the bank recs properly, or would he rather have an IRS audit where they would pick this current practice up as a deficiency and encourage further audits.
If he insists on continuing doing it his way - I suggest you find another place to work for.
If he's non diligent in this respect - just imagine how he'd react to other related issues that you see as accounting weaknesses.

DrStrangeLove

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I am new to my employer (1 month) as their new controller, and I want to run something by other CPAs.

The company has been doing the bank reconciliation in a way that is very different from what I have been taught and done in the past. For context, I have worked in public accounting for 9 years and have had my CPA license over 7 years. They do something where all deposit details are imported to the GL as a lump sum, payroll as a lump sum, and generally most other activity as a lump sum. (AP checks are about the only exception) As these lump sums, they are compared to the lump sum of the related transactions that cleared the bank. The difference is written off to a temporary liability account and written off at year-end.

I do not like this method, and technically I did not have any training on how exactly this company likes to do the bank reconciliation (training has been very slow). As such, I used my professional experience to conduct the bank reconciliation as I saw fit (for example, using the deposit detail instead of the lump sum method, matching each transaction one-by-one). The only variance I have is about $1k and it relates to the difference between the lump-sum payroll distribution and the individual distribution amounts that cleared the bank. An additional context item is that $1k is considered immaterial because it's <1% of the total distribution for the month.

I requested reports to break down the lump-sum payroll distribution. Since this is for November, my boss is asking to have this bank reconciliation completed immediately. He does not want me to dig into it and figure out the $1k. He emphasized that since the auditors did not flag their bank reconciliation procedure, he wants things to be done the way it has always been done. Last year, the temporary liability account was written off at year-end for over $16k and was not an issue for the auditors.

My boss indicated that it was always understood that the variance represented timing differences (which it has to a certain extent) but it is never actually researched. This bothers me because I feel that this procedure is based on laziness. The bank reconciliation I am completing is perfectly capable of reconciling to a $0 variance. Is this really okay? Is this a common practice in companies with internal accounting to insufficiently reconcile accounts like this?

I would love some insight. Thank you! :)
After reading your post, my first reaction was, "Wow, the boss sounds really scared." And I can see why you don't like the lump-sum method--it strikes me more as a thumb-in-the-air to justify not looking into the difference if it isn't enough to affect income materially. Did he tell you not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good enough? I can see his trotting out that old saw.

It's also interesting that A/P is check in detail, but A/R isn't. That seems very odd to me.

BIG E

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
In addition to IRS and State income tax scrutiny - if this business deals with inventory and state and local sales and use taxes are involved - the problem is deeper than you describe. If sales tax auditors find poor accounting control over receipt of income - they'll have a field day on an audit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In addition to IRS and State income tax scrutiny - if this business deals with inventory and state and local sales and use taxes are involved - the problem is deeper than you describe. If sales tax auditors find poor accounting control over receipt of income - they'll have a field day on an audit.
It's a non-for-profit and focuses on services.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@BIG E @DrStrangeLove I apologize for this late response. I sincerely thank you for taking the time to respond. I feel better knowing that I was not too far out of line. :) Thank you!

Ask a Question