UK Barter transactions between limited company director and another business

Reaction score
Hi,

I run a 2 man limited company. A family relative is about to start property developing and wants to employ me to do turn about 2 houses a year round for him.

He is proposing buying items such as holidays etc for me to the value of m services provided.

He believes this will avoid any tax implications. My company is VAT registered and to start off he would be setting up as a sole trader.

My understanding is VAT and income tax would still need to be accounted for both ways. He seems to think that there are no tax implications.

I really don't want to go to prison for tax evasion hence my post! All advice from qualified accountants appreciated!

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi Cr0ft

This is as good as receiving cash in hand which HMRC doesn't want to see (unless it is declared of course). You are providing a business service which in turn commands a certain price. Once these terms have been agreed, the funds need to be made payable to your Ltd company or to you as a sole trader, and the relevant tax deducted to ensure that you are compliant.

I would not accept the holidays and gifts as this is effectively tax fraud!

Regards

David

Ask a Question