Becoming an Accountant

Reaction score
I am going to graduate soon with a BS in Applied Math, and have been considering going on to get an MS in Accountancy. Someone told me this is a waste of time and money because I can get the 24 accounting units I need from a community college and then take the exam, and that most companies don't care about your degree as long as you have taken or are eligible to take the exam. Is this true? Is there a reason to invest all that money in a MS I live and plan to work in CA, and I'm pretty sure my math and computer science classes cover the business-related units, so I just need the accounting units.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am going to graduate soon with a BS in Applied Math, and have been considering going on to get an MS in Accountancy. Someone told me this is a waste of time and money because I can get the 24 accounting units I need from a community college and then take the exam, and that most companies don't care about your degree as long as you have taken or are eligible to take the exam. Is this true? Is there a reason to invest all that money in a MS I live and plan to work in CA, and I'm pretty sure my math and computer science classes cover the business-related units, so I just need the accounting units.
That might have been true a few years ago but most companies now want to see the degree - the time and effort you put into you career, etc. I am in my mid 50's and while I have a degree I went most of my career without one and was able to get by with my experience and hands on skills.

Reaction score
Getting started in the accounting world

Hello out there!

I am approximately 6 months away from completing my B.S. Accountancy Degree through National University. I live in the Sacramento, Ca. area. Prior to starting my coursework in mid 2009, I had never studied accounting formally. My only experience had been doing my own taxes and managing the family finances. I'm currently 36 years old and have some work experience, though none of that experience is specifically accounting/finance related. Since I'm going to graduate soon, I'm trying to find some leads on job opportunities. I'd also be willing to consider unpaid internships in order to get started (granted I can't find any paying jobs initially). I'm definitely at a disadvantage having no prior accounting job experience, especially in this down economy. Most job postings that I've seen have a minimum work history that I almost never meet, plus, I'm sure there are a lot of highly qualified accountants looking for work, with whom I'm competing if I apply. On the upside, my grades are quite high (about 3.8 average) and I anticipate maintaining this average upon graduation in Spring 2012. I also have 2 completed degrees in Music, one masters degree and one bachelors degree. Hopefully prospective employers will see my completed degrees as a testament that I like to finish what I start and that I have dedication.

Do any of you experienced folks out there have any pointers for getting the ball rolling?
I'd appreciate any pointers I can get!

Ask a Question