Benefits of cloud accounting

Reaction score
How can cloud accounting help us in our business?
Hum. Simple answer is:
No hardware to buy, no OS software, no racks, switches, infrastructure to build, no application software to buy license and install, no software installs. The reasons are basicly endless. See opencloudsoft.com for more about cloud computing in general and accounting cloud applications. You see with the cloud you no longer have to own any hardware. The service provider owns the hardware and software, and all you do it use it as you need for a reduced cost (Software as a Service or SaaS). I have heard some companies saving literally 85% plus on IT cost using various cloud software options. The best part is they offer some of the best software anywhere. You end up with the best instead of an inexpensive solution that will just ge the job done.

Last edited:

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
MY company doesnt use the cloud for 2 main reasons. First is the security aspect since we are not guaranteed the privacy of our information and there have been instances where the data is hacked. Not a major issue but something we dont want to risk. Secondly, customization of software is difficult and many of our systems cannot be run off the shelf - causes us to have to purchase software to have it do what we expect. Cloud can be helpful for non-private information and where custimization is not needed. Customization is getting better but still not where it needs to be for companies with complex and large needs.

Reaction score
MY company doesnt use the cloud for 2 main reasons. First is the security aspect since we are not guaranteed the privacy of our information and there have been instances where the data is hacked. Not a major issue but something we dont want to risk. Secondly, customization of software is difficult and many of our systems cannot be run off the shelf - causes us to have to purchase software to have it do what we expect. Cloud can be helpful for non-private information and where custimization is not needed. Customization is getting better but still not where it needs to be for companies with complex and large needs.
uhh... I'm not sure which hosting provider you were using or heard about being hacked, but that is simply untrue of any reputable Intuit authorized hosting provider.
Customization is quite simple if you're looking at the right provider, and anything you don't want hosted doesn't have to be - you can continue running localized software in an offline environment.

As far as security goes, that is a crazy statement. There are companies like InsynQ who has been hosting QuickBooks in the cloud since 1997 and has never been hacked or had data compromised once in all those years.

Do a bit more research, check out qbcloud.wordpress.com, or just google "cloud hosting security" for more information.

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
uhh... I'm not sure which hosting provider you were using or heard about being hacked, but that is simply untrue of any reputable Intuit authorized hosting provider.
Customization is quite simple if you're looking at the right provider, and anything you don't want hosted doesn't have to be - you can continue running localized software in an offline environment.

As far as security goes, that is a crazy statement. There are companies like InsynQ who has been hosting QuickBooks in the cloud since 1997 and has never been hacked or had data compromised once in all those years.

Do a bit more research, check out qbcloud.wordpress.com, or just google "cloud hosting security" for more information.
We have looked at the cloud and do use for some simple software - its not a perfect solution to all business needs especially when sensitive data is an issue. Its getting better but not where we need it to be. There are real security issues - you shouldn't be so optimistic. My reactions are not crazy. In fact research by the Ponemon Insitute (independent research firm) shows that more than 50% of cloud providers do not consider cloud security as one of their top responsibilities - this supports my conclusion that its not yet where it needs to be for very sensitive data.

See http://www.ca.com/~/media/Files/Ind...loud-computing-providers-final-april-2011.pdf

Suggest you also do more research.

Reaction score
The Cloud

First and foremost it's about as secure as you can get.It makes networking a piece of cake and obviates the problem of back up. Like Garlic Bread...it's the future!
Malcolm:)

Reaction score
1. More secure than a PC based software which have a high risk of viruses.

2. Files Automatically Backed Up - so it doesn't matter if coffee is spilt on the PC!

3. You receive Software Updates free of charge.

4. Cloud Accounting is Software as a Service (SaaS) and is charged as a monthly. subscription, thus avoiding the large up front capital investment needed for PC based accounting systems.

5. Mobile Access - useful for owners to keep tabs on the business when travelling.

Reaction score
For me privacy issue is the only thing that I worry about but, this is manageable with proper due diligence. Every other positive things that have been dicussed so far on this page makes it worth trying.

Reaction score
I see a lot of benefits in using cloud accounting systems but I do think that companies have concerns/questions over the security of sensitive financial information. Most cloud services emphasize that they use "encryption" technology to transfer data on their server but in the end do companies feel better about having more control over their IT security?

Reaction score
As it stands I believe there is more flexibility at the moment when making design changes to client server applications.

Web applications are harder to design and get right although they have the advantages listed above.

In certain companies there is real competitive advantage by having your own systems. Getting really competent web designers is probably slightly harder at the moment than getting really competent client server designers.

Things are changning and web frameworks are getting more responsive and easier to design on but there are still a lot of developers who are frustrated that the rate of improvement isn't better.

For standard web apps cloud could be advantageous for deep unique applications you need to allow your developers to stear their own course.

Reaction score
If ease of customization is a major issue for you, have you considered Acumatica? I have done a variety of customizations in it and have found it to be relatively stress free.

Reaction score
As it stands I believe there is more flexibility at the moment when making design changes to client server applications.

Web applications are harder to design and get right although they have the advantages listed above.

In certain companies there is real competitive advantage by having your own systems. Getting really competent web designers is probably slightly harder at the moment than getting really competent client server designers.

Things are changning and web frameworks are getting more responsive and easier to design on but there are still a lot of developers who are frustrated that the rate of improvement isn't better.

For standard web apps cloud could be advantageous for deep unique applications you need to allow your developers to stear their own course.
Web apps and cloud accounting are two entirely different things.

QuickBooks, for example, has an online web-based version. This is not the same as a hosted version of QuickBooks in the cloud.

QuickBooks in the cloud runs on large-scale server farms and allows users access to the fully functional desktop-version of the software from anywhere, anytime. It's the same as running a server in-house except it's managed by professional engineers and in most cases is much more secure than most accountants could afford to implement.

The security debate taking place earlier was fickle at best. The stat that "50% of hosting providers don't value security as a top priority" is a silly statistic. I can tell you with the utmost certainty that none of those providers are Intuit/Sage authorized. ALWAYS make sure the cloud provider you choose is authorized by the software developers that create the programs you wish to run in the cloud. Software providers perform rigorous tests and have very high standards that they impose upon hosting providers in order to give them the "authorized stamp of approval."

Again, cloud security (when done right by a reputable hosting provider) is much stronger than your in-house server or network security ever could be. Only the top 1.5% of businesses in the nation can afford to have a higher authenticity/security system implemented.

We use InsynQ as our QuickBooks Hosting provider. In all of the years we have never had any issues and our client's data remains more safe than it's ever been. We've even had an instance where a client was burgled and able to recover all of their information immediately and with no delay, and not a bit of that information was jeopardized by the thieves due to it all being stored in a secure data center..

Anyway, there are so many benefits and I truly don't believe the security concerns are valid.

Reaction score
Forgot to add a link... should anybody be curious about the company we use for QuickBooks hosting, it can be found here

Reaction score
Cloud Security

Web apps and cloud accounting are two entirely different things.

The security debate taking place earlier was fickle at best. The stat that "50% of hosting providers don't value security as a top priority" is a silly statistic. I can tell you with the utmost certainty that none of those providers are Intuit/Sage authorized. ALWAYS make sure the cloud provider you choose is authorized by the software developers that create the programs you wish to run in the cloud. Software providers perform rigorous tests and have very high standards that they impose upon hosting providers in order to give them the "authorized stamp of approval."
I totally agree here. The whole idea part time computer gurus with in house systems can protect there environment better that a company hosting hundreds of companies is the "silliest" idea I have ever heard.

I have worked in the data center server departments for a very large managed service, shared hosting, and cloud computing provider for 10 years now. SO yes I do know what I am talking about from a IT prospective. The whole security argument is stupid and baseless. Cloud and shared environments are 10 time more secure than any in house systems. Matter fact I would find reliable cloud provides to host sensitive applications because there generally the most secure and tested secure environments around. More importantly there secured by professionals that are well trained in software security not part time gurus that assume there security savvy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
We were thinking about that, but we are worried about few issues:
- security as some time ago for instance OVH cloud was hacked
- reliability

Reaction score
I see a lot of benefits in using cloud accounting systems but I do think that companies have concerns/questions over the security of sensitive financial information. Most cloud services emphasize that they use "encryption" technology to transfer data on their server but in the end do companies feel better about having more control over their IT security?
There's no technical reason why storing data in a server in the cloud is less secure than a dedicated local server. Heck, it might even be safer, depending on the setup. You are giving sensitive financial data to another company to store, but the ships sailed on that at least a decade ago.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are lots of reasons why small and medium business owners are moving towards cloud e.g. it makes the working more effective and efficient and increase the profit returns. Here is an excellent summary about benefits of Cloud Computing for SMBs and Entrepreneurs.
Read here -The Benefits of Cloud Computing for SMBs and Entrepreneurs

Last edited:
Reaction score
The major benefits of cloud hosting are:

1- Reduced accounting operations cost
2- Anywhere access
3- Easily scalable resources
4- Advanced backup system
5- Platform independent resources

Thanks,
Tina

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
And the major drawbacks are:

1. You don't have complete control of your own data
2. Security
3. SECURITY
4. You need a connection to the cloud
5. Your company data is capable of being attacked from anywhere in the world
6. Monthly costs that you can't control

There's a reason why cloud computing isn't the holy grail in the IT world yet. Ubiquitous access comes at a high price to security right now. Until that changes, if you want security, you will have to sacrifice convenience.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Country
United States
How can cloud accounting help us in our business?
Cloud Accounting or online accounting allows you to access and store your accounting data and applications on the cloud(i.e. Internet) rather than on desktop computer. The top most benefits includes security, anytime anywhere access, cloud storage, reliability and ease of access.

Ask a Question