UK Best book/resource for small business accounting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am a chartered accountant (ACA) but, I have worked only on niche things for large companies. I don't really know anything about the accounts of a small business, and I am looking to move into working as the finance guy for startups. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good book/resource which would be helpful to me. So I don't need to be told how double entries work, but the following I have either forgotten from my studies or was never taught:

-what I need to submit to HMRC/Companies house and how often
-a good overview of VAT- what cannot be reclaimed, partial exemption, reverse charge re. EU supplies, all that kind of thing
-good software to use
-other random stuff, like how to do petty cash? How to process expenses?

Thanks in advance

Steve-LevelUp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
The biggest change that you will notice is that you will be much more involved in the day to day activities of the operation. Much of the accounting stays the same, but you will need to work with more junior people on things like collections, invoice and work flows, etc. Much of what you will do will not really involve accounting directly (unless you are also acting as the controller)

There isn't really an easy "book" to cover what you want, it is really just a mind shift of what your priorities are.

Government regulations and filing requirements are best confirmed directly with the local government. similar with VAT, there would be a list of allowable claims.

As for software, I am partial to Quickbooks, but it depends on the nature of the startup. If you are a small SAAS startup with a $10m revenue ramp projected, then something like INTACCT is more appropriate as it can more easily be configured for a scalable SAAS model. I also use GP for a SAAS business, which it handles pretty well.

I'm not sure if this helps, but if it doesn't, just let me know and I can try to clarify a few points.

Regards.

Ask a Question