Billable hours


S

swtcpa

Could anyone tell me what the average number of billable hours they
spend preparing monthly or quarterly financial statements for small
business clients?
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

Paul

swtcpa said:
Could anyone tell me what the average number
of billable hours they spend preparing monthly
or quarterly financial statements for small
business clients?

It's going to vary a lot depending on what you do for the client, and how
involved the client's books really are. Some are as little as two hours a
month, others take the better part of a day. Quarterly always take longer
for two reasons, it's three months worth of work, and the client can't
remember what happened back in January when you have a question that needs
an answer.

We are trying to get away from quarterly and annual financial statements
because of the large lump of work at one time. Unless the client is very
small, it's monthly only.
 
J

John

Paul said:
It's going to vary a lot depending on what you do for the client, and how
involved the client's books really are. Some are as little as two hours a
month, others take the better part of a day. Quarterly always take longer
for two reasons, it's three months worth of work, and the client can't
remember what happened back in January when you have a question that needs
an answer.

We are trying to get away from quarterly and annual financial statements
because of the large lump of work at one time. Unless the client is very
small, it's monthly only.
also "write up" work has changed in the past few years, you used to spend a
lot of time inputting client checks now it's cleaning up the clients own
data in quickbooks, peachtree, MTOB, simply accounting, etc.
 
P

Paul A Thomas

John said:
also "write up" work has changed in the past few years, you used to spend a
lot of time inputting client checks now it's cleaning up the clients own
data in quickbooks, peachtree, MTOB, simply accounting, etc.

I actually spend more time doing that than if I were to have done the data
input myself.
 
J

John

Paul A Thomas said:
spend
a lot of time inputting client checks now it's cleaning up the clients own

I actually spend more time doing that than if I were to have done the data
input myself.
if you get fairly compensated for knowing how to properly use quickbooks,
peachtree, etc. that's better than data entry. I used to that plus bank
deposits, loan amortization, etc. The clean up type work of producing real
financial statements for a client should ultimately pay more than the old
data entry predominate "write up" work.
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

Paul A Thomas

John said:
The clean up type work of producing real
financial statements for a client should
ultimately pay more than the old
data entry predominate "write up" work.


It does. Gets me out of the office to boot.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top