Billable Time Entries vs. Not Billable


J

J. Clark

What is the point of marking time entries as 'Billable' or not? I have an
employee using the time entry section to keep track of hours, even some that
are not to be invoiced. He marks them as not billable, but ... WHAT DO YOU
DO FROM THERE? Do they just sit there forever? Also, experimenting, I
converted NOT BILLABLE time to an invoice and it behaves the exact same way
that billable time does. So ... what's the point? Am I using this wrong?
 
Ad

Advertisements

A

Allan Martin

J. Clark said:
What is the point of marking time entries as 'Billable' or not? I have an
employee using the time entry section to keep track of hours, even some
that
are not to be invoiced. He marks them as not billable, but ... WHAT DO
YOU
DO FROM THERE? Do they just sit there forever? Also, experimenting, I
converted NOT BILLABLE time to an invoice and it behaves the exact same
way
that billable time does. So ... what's the point? Am I using this wrong?
You also must specify a job that the billable time is for. Once that is done
you can transfer this billable time to an invoice.
 
A

Allan Martin

Allan Martin said:
You also must specify a job that the billable time is for. Once that is
done you can transfer this billable time to an invoice.
If you do not specify a job with the time entry you can't add time entires
from the Invoice creation screen. However if you view the time entries list
the user can select time entries and from the actions menu transfer to an
invoice. There appears to be an inconsistancy here. The program should
allow time entries that do not specify a job to be added to an invoice as
well.

One of the better features of SBA is the ability to perform the same action
using different methods. Here is a case where it is not working.
 
J

J. Clark

My question is how do you file away 'non-billable' time entries, entries you
are just entering to keep track of time?
 
A

Allan Martin

J. Clark said:
My question is how do you file away 'non-billable' time entries, entries
you
are just entering to keep track of time?

Define "File Away"?
 
A

Allan Martin

J. Clark said:
My question is how do you file away 'non-billable' time entries, entries
you
are just entering to keep track of time?
At the present time EVERYTHING you enter in SBA will sit there forever.
There are no purge functions built into the program.






Also, experimenting, I
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

J. Clark

Let me set up a scenario:

Jake works 2 hours on a job that is billed. Jake also works 2 hours on a
job for which my company will pay Jake, but the work is something we had to
fix, not to be billed. So, in the time entries, Jake has two entries:

Jake - Client A - 2 hours - Billable
Jake - Client A - 2 hours - Billable Not Checked

Now, when we invoice out the two billable hours, it will be 'Closed' and, as
I put it earlier 'Filed Away.' However, the two non-billable hours, that I
have Jake enter simply for record keeping and payroll, will remain
indefinitely in the 'Open' list??
 
A

Allan Martin

J. Clark said:
Let me set up a scenario:

Jake works 2 hours on a job that is billed. Jake also works 2 hours on a
job for which my company will pay Jake, but the work is something we had
to
fix, not to be billed. So, in the time entries, Jake has two entries:

Jake - Client A - 2 hours - Billable
Jake - Client A - 2 hours - Billable Not Checked

Now, when we invoice out the two billable hours, it will be 'Closed' and,
as
I put it earlier 'Filed Away.' However, the two non-billable hours, that
I
have Jake enter simply for record keeping and payroll, will remain
indefinitely in the 'Open' list??
Yes it will. There is no filter that the user can set to remove the
non-billable time entires from view. You can however click on the Billable
Column header and sort by this column. This will place all the billable and
non-billable lines together for viewing.
 
Ad

Advertisements

E

Ernest D Cook \(663274\)

I reported this as a bug late in the beta release so I hope it is still in
the list of future enhancements. Every hour of work is submitted in my
company and currently, we use a different item "Overhead" for time entires
that are not being billed out to Customers. After all the "billable" time is
pulled into Invoices, I then pull these entries into an invoice and since
the sales price is zero, the invoice is marked "paid". yes, it is a hack but
those entores are "filed away"...


Ernest
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top