USA Book Keeping software

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking for user friendly book keeping software. We have a small business and our accountant takes care of almost everything. We just track out expenses throughout the year. Does anyone have any advice about which software to use? I know about Quickbooks but have had people tell me in the past they do not like it. I was also wondering if i was able to merge our customer list that we have on an online server with Quickbooks. Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have heard a lot of this software called XERO. It is a quick and has a user friendly interface.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our practice covers a few industries, and as we supply various different accounting solutions for our clients, we needed a system which can cover all aspects of accounting. We work with XERO primarily as the number of ad-ons is growing fast, making it more adaptable. Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
According to your needs i would like to suggest you NetSuite , Simply Accounting , and Quicken for your bookkeeping and Accounting Services.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I always recommend Quickbooks online to my clients, because every tax professional is familiar with the software.

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I always recommend Quickbooks online to my clients, because every tax professional is familiar with the software.
Wrong QBO is comparable to New Coke, a total failure. I have had so many clients have troubles with Quickbooks Online even those that used Desktop for years. Xero is much easier.

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
According to your needs i would like to suggest you NetSuite , Simply Accounting , and Quicken for your bookkeeping and Accounting Services.
Quicken is useless and cumbersome for small businesses. Xero is easier and better.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Marybean1,
The software I use is called Ledgersync and it helps make bookkeeping a lot easier! Everything is automatic as it syncs with your accounts, so you wouldn't have to seek out all the information like usual, it will all be there for you. It could be a great option for you. Why don't you give the trial a go and see if you get on with it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are on a budget you can try Bookkeeper by Avanquest. It's cheap. I have found and reported issues, which generally relate to editing an incorrectly boo-boo entered transaction (date or amounts). I suppose it suffers a bit from what i call the "jenga" syndrome. :) I'm not sure these were ever fixed. The included reports are lacking IMHO but on the other hand it's like 5 seconds to brute-force the password on the ms access db used for the backend, so you can generate the reports you want and fix messed up entries if need arises. Honestly after realizing the issues I haven't had trouble going forward. But overall it's cheap useful software.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah, glad I found this thread!

Question: for those of you saying you like things like XERO or QuickBooks, do you go for the free stuff or is it worth it to upgrade to the paid version? I've been looking at ZipBooks, but don't know which package is the best bang for my buck???

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You often get what you pay for. Some free software works at basic levels but not completely or comprehensively. Then you get Quickbooks which is getting more expensive, more complex and less useful as time ticks away. It is why I prefer something in the middle like Xero that can be added to as your needs grow as opposed to Quickbooks that sells you everything including complexity you do not need.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I'm a Linux (debian) os user, so free is good. I'm also an accountant. I agree, QB has gotten bloated and complicated for new users. Being a free user, I found gnuCash (which can be used with Windows and Mac) as a good alternate to QB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question