bookeeping software

Reaction score
Preferably it'd be Handdy for me. It seems to be more flexible in handling accounts with no jargon, and at free of cost.

Reaction score
I have to recommend QuickBooks just because it is the standard at this point. Sage probably functions slightly better if you're an accountant, but most people are used to QuickBooks so if you ever want someone else to look at your data or be able to quickly parse through your transactions it's the way to go.

Can be frustrating, but they all can really.

Good luck!

Reaction score
We've build Easy Account- Online [Intranet] based accounting software which was appropriate for business organizations, manufacturing companies etc

Reaction score
Quickbooks is a simple straightforward package with an easy start and quite a gentle learning curve. You'll find Sage to be much more powerful, but as they say, with power comes responsibility. You'll almost certainly benefit from one of the many courses around on this comprehensive package. That said the support is excellent!

Reaction score
In my point of view Quickbooks software can also be used by newbie due to its simplicity as compared to Sage.Sage is a bit more complex.

Reaction score
I think the main thing to think about is the cost and size of your operation. If you are handling small to mid sized companies Quickbooks definitely does the job. However if you are looking at bigger companies you may need to look at another solution. I believe it also depends on the type of services you offer. There are many solutions out there that are a one stop shop for bookkeeping, tax, markup, etc.

Reaction score
I would like to point out integration as a quality to look for. Who has time to re-type the same data in different places, by saving time you save money. For this reason Quickbooks and Freshbooks are a good choice, because they both have good integration options to CRM, email marketing solutions, etc. This is an interesting topic and all thoughts are welcome.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
No one will probably believe me when I say this, but I'm actually using Quickbooks 1.0 for DOS for several clients with light bookkeeping needs.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You did not mention your business. But if you are a service provider, I would suggest to go with a simple one. The older the software is, more complex it is. Because, older systems have been updated over and over again and maintained compatibility. Go with a cloud based system like Xero, Rewamil etc.
The fundamentals of accounting haven't changed since the advent of computers. Older software can just be--well, older. Most will be as fully functional as accounting programs as anything else.

Reaction score
Country
United States
For a business just starting out with an inexperienced owner, I'd start with spreadsheets and a good bookkeeping class. Bookkeeping software is a tool - if you own a hammer, that doesn't mean you know how to build houses, and too many people get wrapped up in the software thinking that if they have the best software that will be a good substitute for actually understanding basic accounting. There is no substitute, learn the accounting first, then move up gradually to software with more and more features as you need them, that's what I have always done and I'd do it the same way if I had it to do over.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use QuickBooks. We found that using a cloud provider can help you run this software smoother and cheaper then using the online service. I signed up with VyonCloud (VyonCloud.com) and I would highly recommend them. Great service and you can't beat the price. We have 10 users in our office

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Which accounting software you use for bookkeeping?
There are many good book keeping software solutions. I would recommend Quick Books, Xero or MYOB. I presonally prefer Quick Books. Some people however still employ Excel and I find that Quick Books is much easier for reconciliation than others.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use GnuCash and then make my reports how I want them to be in OpenOffice. All of my customers are little bitty folk that just need an end-year summary for their income taxes.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
For a business just starting out with an inexperienced owner, I'd start with spreadsheets and a good bookkeeping class. Bookkeeping software is a tool - if you own a hammer, that doesn't mean you know how to build houses, and too many people get wrapped up in the software thinking that if they have the best software that will be a good substitute for actually understanding basic accounting. There is no substitute, learn the accounting first, then move up gradually to software with more and more features as you need them, that's what I have always done and I'd do it the same way if I had it to do over.
Hands down this is the best advice in this thread. Couldn't have said it better myself (including the tool anaology).

Ask a Question