british gas rebate for people on benefits


L

linkuk

In case anyone doesnt know British gas give a rebate to anyone on certain
benefits.
Most except council tax benefit.
Not age dependent.
You must apply for it but its straight forward.
 
Ad

Advertisements

T

TDP

linkuk said:
In case anyone doesnt know British gas give a rebate to anyone on certain
benefits.
Most except council tax benefit.
Not age dependent.
You must apply for it but its straight forward.
Too late as far as I'm concerned just changed to NPower and saving appx £160
per year and monthly payments cut by £20...
A 22% price hike is taking the pi**
Tdp...
 
M

Martin Davies

linkuk said:
In case anyone doesnt know British gas give a rebate to anyone on
certain benefits.
Most except council tax benefit.
Not age dependent.
You must apply for it but its straight forward.
So what sort of rebate are we talking here?
Is it cost effective with their charges (though likely all the companies
will be raising prices by a chunk if not already).

Martin <><
 
L

linkuk

Martin Davies said:
So what sort of rebate are we talking here?
Is it cost effective with their charges (though likely all the companies
will be raising prices by a chunk if not already).

Martin <><
For the coming year its 90 if you have both gas and electric.
It seems it will be paid in 2 installments at the end of this year and then
a couple of months into the new year.
I just got £30 back for the current year (i didnt realise i would get that!)
just by phoning.
The rebate for next year doesnt mean i will stay with british gas as i will
see what the other companies do first as i suspect they will all follow
british gas with similar rises.
It wont take much for me to move as only yesterday i had a anpther example
of the stupidity when they sent me a key for a key meter that i had not
asked for. As usual the first person insisted that i must have ordered it
because no one else could possible know my details!
After persisting and talking to someone else it turns out that they had sent
a new one because all the money being paid on the key was being paid to
another power company!!!! since april last year!
Why they could not have explained that when they sent the key i dont
understand.
I now have to write to complaints department because i want it in writing
what ive been told so they dont back later saying i owe them money.
 
O

oscaretta*the*cat

linkuk said:
In case anyone doesnt know British gas give a rebate to anyone on certain
benefits.
Most except council tax benefit.
Not age dependent.
You must apply for it but its straight forward.
Further to this discussion:

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/4726998.stm>

Please note: Not everyone who qualifies and applies for a rebate will
receive one. Although millions of people will be in receipt of at least one
of the above benefits, availability is limited to just 300,000 rebates.

A big thanks, just rang up and got the rebate (I think) for 2006 bill for
April (only £20) but a very big help and my name down for the next one.

Regards Group
 
Ad

Advertisements

L

linkuk

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/4726998.stm>

Please note: Not everyone who qualifies and applies for a rebate will
receive one. Although millions of people will be in receipt of at least
one of the above benefits, availability is limited to just 300,000
rebates.

A big thanks, just rang up and got the rebate (I think) for 2006 bill for
April (only £20) but a very big help and my name down for the next one.

Regards Group

You notice how they really put this news out? lol
I found out by reading a bbc news item, then going to british gas owners to
read thier press release and even there it did not say what benefits were
eligible. Had to call and ask about that.

Bit like NTL making it widely known whenever there are some savings around.

I wonder if any other energy providers have similar schemes but forgot to
tell customers.

Pleased u got it. I got £30 cause i was on gas and electric. Only a couple
of weeks left for the 2006 bills so we got lucky.
 
O

oscaretta*the*cat

linkuk said:
I found out by reading a bbc news item, then going to british gas owners
to read thier press release and even there it did not say what benefits
were eligible. Had to call and ask about that.

Bit like NTL making it widely known whenever there are some savings
around.

I wonder if any other energy providers have similar schemes but forgot to
tell customers.

Pleased u got it. I got £30 cause i was on gas and electric. Only a couple
of weeks left for the 2006 bills so we got lucky.
It's now on the front page of BBC UK news, I suspect that the 300,000 limit
is extremely low in comparision with the amount of people you are going to
freeze next winter.

A big thanks for that, mild panic is setting in over next winters gas bill
(despite having to switch off the central heating for this winter and rely
on a gas fire instead)

Might also be worth checking out your areas water companies web site, United
Utilies run a trust fund you can apply for, if you are in hardship. Worth a
look as they paid off the rest of my bill for last year and were very
helpful.

Regards Group
 
M

Martin Davies

oscaretta*the*cat said:
It's now on the front page of BBC UK news, I suspect that the 300,000
limit is extremely low in comparision with the amount of people you
are going to freeze next winter.

A big thanks for that, mild panic is setting in over next winters gas
bill (despite having to switch off the central heating for this
winter and rely on a gas fire instead)

Might also be worth checking out your areas water companies web site,
United Utilies run a trust fund you can apply for, if you are in
hardship. Worth a look as they paid off the rest of my bill for last
year and were very helpful.

Regards Group
I have to wonder. This rebate by British Gas - is it paid for by the bill
they send you? Or from money obtained from another source?

Martin <><
 
O

oscaretta*the*cat

Martin Davies said:
I have to wonder. This rebate by British Gas - is it paid for by the bill
they send you? Or from money obtained from another source?
I'm not sure how it works Martin, the impression I got was the money would
be credited to the account.
 
L

linkuk

I have to wonder. This rebate by British Gas - is it paid for by the bill
they send you? Or from money obtained from another source?

Martin <><
Being of a suspicious nature you got to wonder if they have found a grant
from somewhere obscure in the eec so they wont lose some of thier
£1.3billion profit they make.

They are not british owned after all they will know thier way around the
grants available for sure.
 
Ad

Advertisements

M

Martin Davies

linkuk said:
Being of a suspicious nature you got to wonder if they have found a
grant from somewhere obscure in the eec so they wont lose some of
thier £1.3billion profit they make.

They are not british owned after all they will know thier way around
the grants available for sure.
I've no problem with a company getting all the grants it can. Otherwise why
have the grants anyway?
Hell, I'll apply for all the grants I can, British or foreign. Even been
awarded a few US grants.

Martin <><
 
J

JA**

TDP said:
Too late as far as I'm concerned just changed to NPower and saving appx
£160
per year and monthly payments cut by £20...
A 22% price hike is taking the pi**
Tdp...
Well that's me moving from Brishish Gas, as I refuse to subsidise a bunch of
scroungers.
 
J

JPT

Martin Davies said:
I've no problem with a company getting all the grants it can. Otherwise
why have the grants anyway?
Hell, I'll apply for all the grants I can, British or foreign. Even been
awarded a few US grants.

Martin <><
 
M

Martin Davies

JA** said:
Well that's me moving from Brishish Gas, as I refuse to subsidise a
bunch of scroungers.
The directors of British Gas aren't that bad. A couple of them are nice
people, great with a couple of drinks in them.

Martin <><
 
M

Martin Davies

JPT said:
-------------
Does this mean the hard workers like myself, who have to get up early
in the morning, standing in the frezzing cold waiting for a bus have
to pay your gas bill now? I think I am doing somthing wrong here by
working. I have to switch my central heating off as well to save
money just like you lot.
No, I pay my gas & lecky bill in full, all 2 grand a year or so of it.
Though 1/7th of it I can claim as an expense on our partnership business
accounts, so reducing tax liability.
And what makes you think that others of us also don't get up early in the
morning and stand in the cold waiting for a bus?

Martin <><
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

JPT

Martin Davies said:
No, I pay my gas & lecky bill in full, all 2 grand a year or so of it.
Though 1/7th of it I can claim as an expense on our partnership business
accounts, so reducing tax liability.
And what makes you think that others of us also don't get up early in the
morning and stand in the cold waiting for a bus?

Martin <><
Well if people are claiming and waiting for a bus early in the morning the
must be doing work on the side. I have never met anyone in the bus queue yet
that early, who not on there way to work
 
M

Martin Davies

JPT said:
Well if people are claiming and waiting for a bus early in the
morning the must be doing work on the side. I have never met anyone
in the bus queue yet that early, who not on there way to work
Funny, can catch the bus early to get other places than work.
Hospital, jobcentre, council offices and so on.

Come to think of it, quite possible to work and claim some benefits.

Martin <><
 
T

TDP

Just heard on the BBC 1100 hrs 23/02/06 that British Gas has just announced
record profits the cheeky bas*ards,glad I dumped them!!!
Tdp...
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top