USA Business Expenses as decreased revenue

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think this basically two questions:

1) For my personal finances (using gnucash) I don't much like having an Expense acct for work expenses that is not linked up to the corresponding Revenue accts. So what I did was entered in decreases into the Revenue for the business expenses. What could go wrong?

2) How does one link up accounts that are very very connected, such as a liability that is secured on an asset, such as a home, or business expenses that are caused by an income source (such as my example in 1)

thanks!

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't help you with 2), but in 1), if you're deducting your expenses directly from revenue then you're understating revenue and I think accounting standards, auditors and tax authorities the world over would agree that it is wrong to do that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, thank you. I didn't think about that. The W2 from my job would give the real number to Uncle S., but then I'd be darned confused when I looked at my own figures.

I guess I'll just have an expense category marked "Business Expenses" and keep it that way.

Ask a Question