USA Buying locally with cash

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I have a question about buying items locally from people on craigslist and reselling them to other dealers and getting paid by check. Most people on craigslist only accept cash as a form of payment and are skeptical in providing a bill of sale due to all of the scams going around with personal information.

I will take these items to dealers and they will pay me in the form of a check or bank wire transfer. How can I prove to the IRS what I paid for each item? Do you have any advice on how I should do this?

Much appreciated.

AGH the CPA

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
write up your own receipt and have the people sign it when you give them cash.

ie.

Date
August 4, 2017

Sold
1 writing desk $100

Signed

-----------------------------------------
person selling it signs here

Keep it simple and people will be more willing to do it.

I would then also attach a copy of the craigslist ad or whatever notice you used to find out about the item.

Reaction score
Country
United States
write up your own receipt and have the people sign it when you give them cash.

ie.

Date
August 4, 2017

Sold
1 writing desk $100

Signed

-----------------------------------------
person selling it signs here

Keep it simple and people will be more willing to do it.

I would then also attach a copy of the craigslist ad or whatever notice you used to find out about the item.
Hi,

I can type out a simple bill of sale but will I need the sellers ID to make this receipt valid? Should my info be on the receipt or not required for taxes?

Thanks!

AGH the CPA

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are buying from Craigslist, 9 time out of 10, the seller is NOT going to have a "sellers' id. (unless you mean their drivers license?) I wouldnt give some random person a copy of my drivers license either. I think you're fine if you have a copy of the listing, the contact details for the person and a receipt. The other stuff would be nice but not necessary. YOUR info doesnt need to be on there but you can certain;y put your details in the SOLD TO area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are buying from Craigslist, 9 time out of 10, the seller is NOT going to have a "sellers' id. (unless you mean their drivers license?) I wouldnt give some random person a copy of my drivers license either. I think you're fine if you have a copy of the listing, the contact details for the person and a receipt. The other stuff would be nice but not necessary. YOUR info doesnt need to be on there but you can certain;y put your details in the SOLD TO area.
Thanks for getting back to me. My last question would be what I should put on the receipt, does the seller need to sign it for it to be valid? Or can I just put the item info/serial #, price paid, date/time, place of sale, sellers info? What if they don't wanna give me their name?

AGH the CPA

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
seller does not need to sign it to be valid.

Why wouldnt they give you their name? I would worry I was buying stolen property if they are not willing to just give you their name??

Ask a Question