CA safe harbor, do I qualify?

Reaction score
I moved to Germany mid 2014 to see if I could find a job. I succeeded later that year to get a 1 year contract. After 8 months (mid 2015) I got another job with an unlimited, no end, contract and have been there since. I was out of the USA till January 2016. I put my mailing address to my father in CA and kept my drivers license and car registered there for him to use since he doesn't have money. I have no house or rental agreement or cell phone in USA, though I have a couple bank accounts. I have a bank account, phone, residence, a blue card visa, girlfriend, etc, here in Germany. Since I've been here, I have only had earnings working here, nothing in America.
Can I claim Safe Harbor even though 1st contract was for only a year? Can I combine that with the second, permanent job? Between the 2, I will not return before the ~18 months needed.
How do I file?
I read the CA document about Safe Harbor and intent (where I intend as my home). I've made a life here ever since I got the first job late 2014.
Thank you for your help!!

Ask a Question