Calif tax safe harbor question

Reaction score
I have been residing outside of California for 1.5 years. I still have a home and car in California. I am a registered as a driver in another state, registered to vote in that state, have another car that is registered in that state, and rent there for my living arraangements. I think that it would be difficult to defend that it is not my domicile based on the property ownership in California since I am renting in the other state.

I am interested in and have a few questions regarding the safe harbor provision (employment contract and less than 45 days in California for a calendar year).

1. For the employment contract, do I need a signed contract or is a work history with the employment location in another state for the past couple of years enough to satisfy this requirement?

2. When counting the 45 days, would I need to count partial days? For example if I arrive at 6pm on a Friday and leave before 6pm on Sunday is that two or three days?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ask a Question