USA California CPA Licensing for out of State Student

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I am looking for some help with planning exactly what more classes I need for California CPA eligibility.

I am a recent graduate from Northern Illinois University with a double Bachelor's degree in Accountancy and Finance. I currently have 136 credit hours. I plan to spread out the remaining 14 credit hours needed across spring and summer so that I can continue working up until I move to California in August 2016.

I would love if someone with knowledge of California CPA requirements could help me with verification that my current transcript meets certain requirements and does not meet others; also with picking classes I will need to meet those requirements. From what I can see based on the eligibility assessment worksheet (http://www.dca.ca.gov/cba/applicants/self-assess- wrksheet.pdf) provided by the California Board of Accountancy (CBA), The only requirements I am missing are a couple of ethics courses.

Since I will not be completing the exams until after Jan. 1st 2017, I will also need an accountancy specific ethics course. I cannot find a course for this in Illinois since all we require over here is business specific ethics. Would business ethics cover this or do I need to find a college in California to take it at?

I am having a heck of a time finding the answers to these questions because my counselors simply say they have no clue who to call or what to tell me and the CBA, while very polite and friendly, have simply told me that I cannot receive feedback from them until I actually submit an application for licensure, which should be done after I take the exams.

I would like to be able to move with a full transcript of all the education requirements and not have to worry about taking these classes.

I would GREATLY appreciate any help I can get here because nobody seems to want to help me with this.

Thanks for any feedback!!

-Len

Ask a Question