USA Can a company change an invoice after I have paid?

Reaction score
The company quoted me a price on an invoice, I agreed to the pricing. They had a typo on the billing amount that I did not know about nor that they knew about. The invoice was paid and services rendered. Six month later they are coming to me saying they made a mistake, the employee that they fired did not bill me correctly, now they want more money. Is this legal?

Additional Details
The new amount is almost double the original amount. They are telling me that the employee did not correct his mistake before billing me.

Counterofbeans

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
This strikes me as a legal question much more than an accounting one.

I would say you have a solid argument to not pay anything more, but your description of the transaction is very vague.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Forget the legal aspect, where are your ethics? Is this who you want to be? If you do not pay what you "agreed to" pay then you would be cheating someone out of money. You said "I agreed to the pricing." And so that was the legal agreement, which will be the basis of their lawsuit against you. And they will win easily because that was the contract. Lawyers study "contract law" not "invoice law" so it is the contract that is important, not the invoice.

If you refuse to pay then what's next for you, stealing from the church poorbox?

Last edited:

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I'm reading the original post correctly, it seems that the error was in the originally agreed price, which was then paid. If that's the case, then there's no obligation to pay anything else if the seller realises they've made a mistake with the price.

On the other hand, if another document exists agreeing a different pice than what was actually invoiced, then that will stand. In the absence of that, then the invoiced amount is the only basis to go on.

Ask a Question