Can an illegal immigrant file a tax return?

Discussion in 'Accounting' started by brassplyer, May 1, 2006.

  1. brassplyer

    brassplyer Guest

    In debating the topic of illegals, someone makes the statement that
    "Illegals often file tax returns to prove long-term residency", to make
    the alleged point that they often pay taxes and contribute to the

    Does this make any sense or have any basis in plausibility? I thought
    to file on either the state or federal level, you need to have a valid
    SSN? And to get a SSN, don't you have to have legal status?
    brassplyer, May 1, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. brassplyer

    thng Guest

    Yes, you can file a return without an SSN, and the IRS has a page that
    describes just what this other number is:,,id=96287,00.html

    What is an ITIN?
    An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing
    number issued by the Internal Revenue Service. It is a nine-digit
    number that always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the
    fourth digit, example 9XX-7X-XXXX.
    IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S.
    taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not
    eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social
    Security Administration (SSA).
    ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident
    and nonresident aliens may have U.S. tax return and payment
    responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code.

    The IRS mainly concerns itself with tax administration.
    thng, May 1, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. Can an illegal immigrant check the box to donate $3 to US Presidential
    mrs. eliza humperdink, May 1, 2006
  4. brassplyer

    Katie Guest

    Sure. Why not?

    Katie in San Diego.

    The foregoing is intended for educational purposes only and does not
    constitute legal or professional advice. Nothing contained herein is
    intended to be used, or can be used, by any person to avoid penalties
    that may be imposed under federal or any state law.
    Katie, May 1, 2006
  5. brassplyer

    rick++ Guest

    Yes. One can get a taxpayers identification number (ITN) fairly
    (because no one in the governement objects to people paying taxes).
    Originally thery were meant for workers temporarily here.
    But these days "temporary" can mean until expired.
    ITNs do not build retirement and disability like SSN.
    But many financial services accept them for bank accounts and
    mortgages, etc.
    rick++, May 1, 2006
  6. brassplyer

    rick++ Guest

    If they pay taxes.
    Many vote too. The voter registration requirements in the last
    few places I've lived in mainly are proof of address, nothing more.
    rick++, May 1, 2006
  7. brassplyer

    RaS Guest

    Then the next question that comes to mind. If an ITIN doesn't build retirement
    or disability like an SSN then if an illegal is issued a 1099 instead of a W-2
    (no SS/FICA or MC withheld) then is the illegal liable for Self Employment taxes?
    RaS, May 2, 2006
  8. brassplyer

    LTSLLC Guest

    Yes, many illegal aliens file tax returns but please don't believe the
    enabler's official line that they "pay" taxes. Most typically have zero
    taxable income and get much more in a tax refund than most American
    taxpayers because they have learned how to game the system.

    Despite the ITIN program, most illegal aliens WILL NOT file for an ITIN
    because they aleady know that this makes them ineligible for a huge tax

    Most illegal aliens will use stolen SSNs, that is, valid SSNs that
    actually belong to a real taxpayer or person. They will typically file
    electronically and do so as soon as possible in order to file before
    the real taxpayer files their tax return.

    The reason is that the illegal alien will then be "eligible" for
    receiving a (fraudulent) tax refund that mainly consists of the earned
    income tax credit (EITC) and sometimes the additional child tax credit

    The incentive to do this is huge since the refund amount is typically
    over $4,000. Since they are often married, and the wife will also file
    a separate tax return using a fake SSN, then they end up getting over
    $8,000 for simply submitting a bunch of papers.

    Also, these illegal aliens typically have more than the two children
    needed to max out the EITC so they typically will sell the unused
    children's SSNs to friends, other family members or anyone else so that
    they also can file fraudulent returns and get huge EITC tax refunds.

    Do they get caught? Many do, but the vast majority don't. There are
    just too many of them filing fraudulent tax returns for the IRS, for
    many reasons, to catch them all. Also, if they do get caught, they just
    get another SSN and use that to file.

    As for the issue of the self-employment tax, it doesn't matter if they
    are eligible for SS benefits. Most of them are getting government
    benefits now via the fraudulent EITC refunds. Also, any self-employment
    tax shown as due on their tax return is more often than not fully paid
    by the EITC and the CTC, refundable credits that are just government
    handouts that come from real American taxpayers paying their income
    taxes, so any statements that illegal aliens pay taxes is largely a

    LTSLLC, May 4, 2006
  9. brassplyer

    Ron Todd Guest

    On 3 May 2006 19:05:58 -0700, "LTSLLC"

    Nice summation. In addition you have the State welfare angle that has
    been increasing quite rapidly. What we seem to be in the midst of is
    the greatest socialist wealth transfer in the history of the world. I
    note the California State Senate Democrats just came out for unlimited
    and unrestricted illegal immigration and one of the 'voice of the NY
    Times' columnists came out for the ( no secret there ) position that
    the tax payers of the U.S. cannot "give" enough to bring up the living
    status of the worlds under performing.
    Ron Todd, May 7, 2006
  10. is there a service that hires out illegals for temp work? just
    mrs. eliza humperdink, May 9, 2006
  11. brassplyer

    Ron Todd Guest

    According to the last info from Soc. Sec. Adm. on bounced card
    numbers, it seems that most do. From what I've seen you could also go
    down to McDonalds Or Burger King and as one of the folks in the back,
    actually out here the counter person would probably be ok also, if you
    could hire one of their relatives.
    Ron Todd, May 10, 2006
  12. brassplyer


    May 3, 2011
    Likes Received:
    Just to take this point to the next step, My question is in this scenario the IRS would receive a return using a stolen SSN together with a name that does not match the master SS database. Why should someone be able to steal a SSN and use it with any name they just make up? This should be easy to check before they accept a filing or issue any refund. Does the name and SSN match the master SS database? Also, I find it offensive for the IRS to prevent a return being filed using the correct name and SSN combination because a return was already filed using an incorrect name with that same SSN, the latter being an obvious fake. I understand the IRS will not give any information such as the name or address used by the fraudster, even after you are verified to be the owner of the SSN, and deemed to be a victim of identity theft. This includes sharing the info with law enforcement.
    taskman, Oct 3, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.