USA Can I buy an apt, claim home-office deduction for 3-5 years, and then rent the property

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking into buying a house/apt that I can live in for 3-5 years, and then start renting it out.

I know there are some complications around depreciation if you SELL the property after claiming the deduction. I was wondering if the same holds true for a home office that ultimately gets turned into a rental property.

1. Are there any tax consequences of claiming a home office deduction for 3-5 years and then renting the property to tenants? I would no longer live there or do business there, and likely begin to claim home office in another residence.

2. I don't completely understand the consequences if you were to sell - is this only if you claim depreciation as an additional expense? Or does it also come into play when you are just deducting the traditional % or simplified $5/sq ft methods as well?

3. I know I can write off interest on the mortgage. Would I ever have to pay anything back if I wrote off interest on my mortgage and then either sold or rented the property?

Thanks!

smallbushelp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
1. No.
2. What consequences are you referring to? Your question is unclear.
3. Yes, you can claim a Schedule A deduction for mortgage interest on your primary residence. If you move and convert the property to a rental unit, you can still deduct the mortgage interest but it becomes a business expense and you'll have to file a Schedule E. You don't have to pay anything back if you sell the property.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you!

Your answers to 1 and 3 made it clear for me.

For 2, I just knew that if you deduct depreciation and then sell your property, it can bite you. I was just curious if there were any similar pitfalls to claiming a deduction one year and selling/renting the property the next.

smallbushelp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
No, there are no pitfalls to claiming the home office deduction. But yes, taking a deduction for depreciation can affect your calculation of gain or loss when you sell a rental property causing you to have a higher capital gain.

Ask a Question