UK Can I list debtors on club accounts?

Reaction score
Hello, I compile the accounts for a sports club with 50 members. For the last five years I have itemized debtors and creditors on the balance sheet as a formal way or recording the position at year end.(Our treasurer only records receipts and payments and we have no invoicing system). The total number of items is less then 10 and there is no suggestion that the debts are overdue. The accounts are only issued at the AGM and subsequently to all members. They are not published anywhere.

This year one member whose name appears as owing £30 for clothing has objected, with comments such as "you can't do that, invasion of privacy, data protection act" etc etc"..

Despite hours of searching. I cannot find anything which confirms that debtors cannot be itemized, but have found instances of debtors lists being issued at AGM or with minutes. Can anyone advise if there is an accounting or legal ruling which provides a clear answer?

Thank you.

Ask a Question