USA Can ledger entries contain detailed references to the actual documents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We use software that generates a lot of different documents - purchase and sales of goods, issuing and receiving repayments of loans, calculating salaries. All the those documents are posted into ledgers as ledger documents with entries. Ledger document, of course, contain references to the invoices, to loan document, to payroll document.

But we have problems:
- reconcile the remaining inventory of some good with the ledger entries for that good
- reconcile the outstanding amount of loand with the ledger entries for that loan

We post invoice as ledger document with summarized entries - e.g. there is separate ledger entry for more than one good - for all the invoice's goods that have the same account. What I like to change is the following - I would like to make ledger entry (for invoice line) for each separate good and I woud like that ledger entry contain reference to that good. So - I can make the comparison between accounts and good's inventory really simple.

My colleguaes are against such detailed ledger entries. They argue, that ledger document should summarize all the entries that have the same account. They argue that ledger document should contain reference to invoice, but it is unnecessary to put reference to good in ledger entry.

The similar problem about detailed/expanded ledger entries is connected with posting loan and payroll activities as well. I would like to make ledger entry for each pawn of some loan, colleagues want one entry for the whole loan document. I would like to make ledger entry for each payroll line of each employee, colleagues want one entry for the whole payroll document (one entry for all the employees of some department).

Of course, one can say, that accounting software should be 100% correct and that summarized ledger entries are sufficient. But I know, that errors happen and there is need to have very detailed ledger entries for catching those errors.

What is the view of professionals concerning the deailed/summarized ledger entries.

Ask a Question