USA Can someone advise me on a suitable career path?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to the forum so please pardon me in advance for either not starting a thread in the proper section or failing to observe a similar thread which is already in existence.

In any case, I recently graduated with a Bachelors in Accountancy with a decent (3.4) GPA. I was pushed into Accountancy due to the perceived job security and noticeable industry growth. To be honest, I'm not particularly keen on the field and lack any enthusiasm which most of my classmates seemed to exude.

I have about 3.5 years of experience in Accounts Payable and Receivable and it was a nightmare; perhaps the only place suitable for creative minds to peacefully die. Are there any interesting and stimulating areas of Accounting which I need to look into? Many people seem excited about the field and I wish I could share that enthusiasm.

Also, I enjoy Finance but can't seem to find an entry level position nowadays which doesn't require previous experience that I simply don't have. To add to my questions, what are some stimulating jobs in Finance which have no quarrel with hiring recent college grads?

Lastly, would it help me to get my masters in Financial Accounting and/or Finance fresh out of college, or should I gain some experience then pursue the degree?

Thank you very much in advance, and I apologize for the lengthy post.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If I told you I was dating someone, was not at all interested in them and was planning to get very much more involved in the relationship you would call me crazy. So why pursue a masters in accounting when you have "no enthusiam" for it. Time to do some personal re-evaluation and see if you have a passion for some other field. Why spend a whole career hating your work?

Reaction score
Forensic is the hottest and the latest job in the accounting world of today! There is a growing demand for assessment services in accounting. Forensic accountants should have a bachelor’s degree in any field along with 24 hours of accounting.They earn between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, while experienced professionals earn $150,000 per year or more.

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
There are a lot of different accounting roles which may be better suited for you. Myself I graduated with both accounting and finance degrees but always preferred finance. I worked in a corporate controller role developing financial statements and found this a good blend of my accounting and financial preferences. What I suggest is you figure out exactly what you want but take interest in accounting since even if you pursue a financial role accounting will be a definite help and may even be required.

Ask a Question