USA Can someone please help me?

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am new to this forum, nice to meet you.

I graduated from SUNY at the end of 2007 and started as a tax consultant with Deloitte PCA group in downtown Manhattan. It was a brand new beginning in my life.

Unfortunately, things didn't go well. I left Deloitte in early 2009 and moved to San Diego to join my family.

Several small hotels located in Indiana were owned by my family at that time and so I became their bookkeeper. The work was very basic but it gave me enough time to prepare for my CPA exams.

Bad things happened again. All of the hotels were foreclosured in early 2010. At the end, they put me into the parent company - a corporation that specialized in nutritional products retailing business. I spent another 2.5 years there working as a tax accountant filing corporate tax returns, limited liability company returns, property tax schedules. Other job responsibilities included creating and maintaining fixed asset depreciation schedule, expense schedules, doing bank recs and sometimes accounts receivable and payable.

The company was family oriented and the speed was very slow. Also, most of my work were special projects. I didn't think I could learn much there so I decided to leave early this year.

I went back to NYC in April and have been struggling to find a job ever since.

I have both BS and MS degrees in accounting. I also received my CPA license back in 2011. Right now I really don't know what to do. I tried to apply for Big 4 and other major mid-size accounting firms and I have received nothing but decline. Yes I have experiences from both public and private companies but they didn't last long, my knowledge was very limited. I tried to apply for entry level positions but i guess the employers prefer fresh starters who just graduated from schools, and I am no more.

Today I applied for another 25 positions. It is unlikely that I shall receive any good news from all of the positions that I applied to. So I figured maybe I should join an accounting forum and seek for help. Could someone please give me some suggestions on job hunt as well as career path? What should I do? What companies should I apply to?

Thank you !

Last edited:

The Finance Writer

VIP Member
Reaction score
The Big 4 desire for fresh starters sounds about right. I recommend that you set your sights on small local or regional firms if you want to work in public accounting. Alternatively, you have excellent qualifications for positions in corporate accounting. Have a willingness to relocate and apply for jobs posted on professional social media platforms.

Ask a Question