USA Can use of airline points for business travel be deducted?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm using points to fly to a location for a required continuing ed seminar. Is the value of the points (using the airline's measure) deductible as a continuing education expense? It is an overnight trip. There is some personal time but it is not the reason I'm taking the trip.

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow really? I am reminded how disgusting people can be. How greedy they can be. How hogs get fed and pigs get slaughtered.

You are given something for free and you want to take a tax deduction for it? Really CPE no doubt.

Even if you claim you did not get the miles for free because you paid in other ways, how do you value your economic cost?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My friend, you're a bit naive.

Just a few minutes ago I tried renting a car through the airline I use. By doing it that way I would get 600 airline points. I compared that cost ($290) with the cost from Priceline ($139). The difference certainly represents the value of the points, so don't tell me they aren't worth anything. You also need to pay dollars for points when you don't have enough points to buy a ticket. There's no free lunch.

Do you also take the position that a stock certificate you get in a stock distribution isn't worth anything?

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not going to get into an argument with someone that cannot see things so clearly.

Ask a Question