USA Canadian Citizen Purchased Property In USA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Currently I have a client that resides in Canada. Both husband and wife is Canadian citizen, where as husband holds US green card with a social security number. Wife only have a ITIN from US and no green card, no social security number. They purchased 2 rental in Washington State for rental. They both never lived in WA state and only stayed in Canada. In this case am I suppose to file a 1040 tax return for them or 1040NR?

I asked on another place and the CPA I talked to told me to file 1040 and all the worldwide income will be taxed (or husband can file 1040, and then the wife can file 1040NR only for the US rental portion). But then my client told me that since he did not physically live in USA, he don't have to file a 1040 and can file 1040NR since he doesn't live in US and can prove his citizen with Canada. In this case, should I file a 1040 or 1040NR form for them? I use intuit pro to file all my US customer tax returns with forms 1040/1040A/1040EZ and I don't think that software supports 1040NR if I have to file. What other alternative software do you guys recommend if I had to file 1 exclusive 1040NR for this client of mine?

Thank You
Hong

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United States
If it's 1040NR, do I only report their income earned in USA or do I have to report their full worldwide income here on their 1040NR tax return, and then they can claim a tax credit back on their Canadian tax return?

Thanks

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Non residents of US only get taxed on US source income. But if he files as a non-resident, he puts his green card at risk.

Ask a Question