UK Can't Open MS Office Accounting Express 2009

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been using MS Office Accounting Express 2009 successfully for several years for my small consulting business.

My PC runs Windows 7 Home Premium.

I typically enter data on a quarterly basis for tax reporting purposes. I last used Office Accounting successfully on 26th October to input data for the July to September quarter.

I now need to enter data for the October to December quarter, but I find that I cannot open the program.

When I click on the Office Accounting icon on the Taskbar, I get the following sequence of events:-

1. The Office Accounting panel appears with the words “Starting Microsoft SQL Server”

2. The User Account Control panel immediately appears and asks “Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?” The details are shown as:-
- Program: Microsoft Office Accounting 2009
- Verified publisher: Microsoft Corporation
- File origin: Hard drive on this computer
- File location: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Small Business\Office Accounting 2009\ExecuteRestricted.exe”/ss “MICHAELCOLE-PC\MSSMLBIZ” “michaelcoleassociates”

3. When I click on “Yes”, the Office Accounting panel is again visible, initially showing “Starting Microsoft SQL Server”, and then moving on to “Establishing database connection”.

4. Eventually the Office Accounting 2009 Start Menu appears.

5. I click on “Open an existing company”

6. The “Select Company File” menu appears.

7. I click on my company “michaelcoleassociates”.

8. The Office Accounting panel again appears with the words “Starting Microsoft SQL Server”

9. The User Account Control panel again appears and asks “Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?” (The details shown are the same as before.)

10. I click on “Yes”

11. The Office Accounting panel reappears with the words “Starting Microsoft SQL Server”

12. The Office Accounting 2009 Start Menu appears.

13. I click on “Open an existing company”

14. The “Select Company File” menu appears.

15. I click on my company “michaelcoleassociates”.

16. We go into an endless loop from 7 to 15 above.

If, instead of trying to “Open an existing company”, I click on “Restore an Office Accounting company from a back-up file, I end up with a message telling me “There was an error granting application administrator access”.

I have never needed to restore my company from a back-up, but when I looked at my most recent back-up, stored in “C:\Users\Michael Cole\Dropbox\Small Business Accounting\Companies”, I discovered that it was saved as an Adobe Acrobat file.

When I tried to open it, I got the following message:-

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC could not open:-
“michaelcoleassociates_2015-10-26.sbb” because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn’t correctly decoded).

Would anyone be able to advise me how to get back into Office Accounting?

Thank you for reading this far.

Michael

Ask a Question