career advice, husband is a radiologist, unique situation

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a 24-year-old girl looking for some career guidance. I recently entered the US in July from Pakistan to join my husband. He was born and raised here in the US and is currently a first year radiology resident and will complete his training in 5 years. He has about 100k in student debt that he will have paid off by the end of residency (because of some other assets he has, clearly not because of his salary).

This is where I come in,

I am new to the states and I am simply just trying to learn the culture. I am learning to drive and once I can do that, it will buy me some independence to get a job. I know that given my lack of communication skills, it will be a challenge to get a well paying job. I have to assimilate myself in the culture by getting a basic job and mingle with people.

My question to you is what do you recommend? I am thinking to start working at retail stores like macy’s or dillard’s or something along those lines. My husband says that’s what he did when he was 16. I have never worked before and he says that it will teach me some valuable lessons and help me assimilate.

While working, I want to continue furthering my education. I have a bachelor’s degree in commerce (sort of like economics) but the equivalent here in America is two years of undergraduate completion. My interest is in business/accounting, etc. but I am open to anything. I really want to do something that will help us with personal finance/accounting when he is a radiologist. I can finish my degree and hopefully get a decent job for a couple years while he is still training.

I just want to get your input on hot fields, what could be helpful for both of us, anything you could recommend regarding furthering my career and have a good return on my educational investment!

I really appreciate your advice and look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thank you! And sorry for the long post.

The Finance Writer

VIP Member
Reaction score
I've worked with two individuals in the past three years who were from Pakistan and entering the accounting field. One started in the tax industry with a storefront tax service. The pay is low and work at those operations is part-time as well as seasonal. However, they do accept inexperienced workers and you will quickly learn to work with people. In fact, plenty of taxpayer clients will respect you by being honest with personal information about your country of origin, marriage to an American, and desire to learn by working hard.

The job market for accounting is hot mostly for recent grads who are CPA candidates. However, smaller local accounting firms have openings for staff accountant jobs. Many of these firms focus on tax, but also handle bookkeeping assignments. They will hire you with no experience as long as you have some proven skills. You can develop tax expertise by studying for the Enrolled Agent exam. Take the course at Enrolled Agent Exam Review and Study Guide now and you'll be ready for finding plenty of opportunities in the upcoming tax season.

Ask a Question